Your drivers for financial focus

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Property Twins, 4th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Ha ha, I like your thinking! As with everything, building a trustworthy network is key.

Sackie and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@ellejay how did you start? I'd like to do overseas investing if I actually know how and where to start. Not knowing the market and the system is quite crippling. I have family in Jakarta and Singapore and some have property in Thailand etc. I'm not sure I can deal with the system very well though

3. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

From memory your plan involves buying CF+ IPs and letting them pay themselves down on P and I payments, and you are not betting on on continued growth?

I like the security of your plan, our main issue is changes in the lending environment, i.e. APRA, which has crippled us so we really need I/O to keep our redraw ability as high as possible.

We are considering annuities and more likely index funds while our serviceability is shot.

4. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I lived in each country for a while, but the rest started with online contacts. I know nothing aboutJakarta, Singapore or Thailand property. Do you have a view on investing in these countries? Can you research with help from family? Google is also your friend as a starting point :) Your use of the word crippling is interesting...it would feel very hard to start from the position of feeling crippled in the market. Just curious, is confidence, or lack of holding you back generally? A leap of faith may be required as well as dd if buying overseas or even over here.

EN710 likes this.
  5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

If it makes sense to invest in other country and keep the risk low then yes I'd be interested. Crippling as in fear as I have no knowledge at all. Not knowing = risky = a lot of money at risk = argh I can't sleep :confused:

If the start money is lower then I'd be more inclined... In Jakarta for example, you can get a pretty good apartment with 10% yield at $150k - the catch is that it need to be paid it in full so that's too big for what I want to put in. Bank interest there is about 10%. Culturally, its complicated to find a person you can trust there, you need to know the locals and how they work. Maybe easier if I start in country with similar system to Australia ...
    I'll stop taking the thread out of topic now o_O

ellejay likes this.
  6. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I first started investing in property because I knew I would blow all the money on other frivolous things that young people do.

Now I invest to pass down to my children. I want to give the best opportunities as possible. Unfortunately in this world, more wealth creates more opportunities.

ellejay and Property Twins like this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

:eek:

The Y-man

raj_27, Property Twins and ellejay like this.