Your best movie/series ever. Let's compare

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 19th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Wow so many good shows and movies out there. Some great ones listed above, I'll add some others i thought amazing but not as known:

Tv series: "Normal people"
    "Station eleven"
    "The girlfriend experience"
    "Mr inbetween"
    "Euphoria"
    "Scenes from a Marriage"
    "Maid"

Movies: "Dune" old movie was amazing, prob seen it 15+ times. Also the different series that have come along over the years arent too bad, but sometimes a little cheap on the special effects. I liked the book(s), but didnt love it due to the writing style. The latest movie version that came out last year was amazing, changed the story line a bit to make it its own, but also appeals to the non scifi's out there with great special effects and plot. My wife, who pretty much hates scifi (except GOT), loved it and now cant wait for part 2 in a year or so.

2. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

The new one is quite amazing too. The soundtrack… wow…

George Smiley and lixas4 like this.
  3. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Way too hard. Godfather 2 is the greatest film I've ever seen though, while I do love it, I don't necessarily enjoy it more than some of the less sophisticated or flawed contenders on my list. And then my favourite movie can change with what mood I'm in.

Godfather 2 is one of those movies that you notice one or two new things with every repeated viewing. One thing I picked up in my last viewing was Coppola's masterful yet subtle symbolism in the death of Don Fannuci scene.
    At 2.34 notice Christ covered in green dollar bills which are then purposefully concealed in frame by the roof of a store with only Christ remaining (alluding to the spiritual blindness of Fanucci, who worships money and power above all else and sees himself as all important because of it).When it passes Fannuci he pays shallow lip service to Christ by blowing him a kiss before his eyes quickly gaze back to the money pinned to his body. Those carrying the effigy take on the symbolism of pallbearers, the scene like a slow funeral procession for Fanucci's inevitable demise.

Last edited: 21st Jun, 2022
    WattleIdo and willair like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone who has not seen

Risky Business. …. Tom Cruise. Gotta watch it. The best

5. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

Yeah.... I loved the atmosphere, same as Blade Runnerr 2049

Properwin likes this.
  6. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

Series: The Detectorists
    Movie: ??? Too many!!!

7. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

A list of obscure movies (possibly more enlightening than A-list Hollywood movies that are well known) I consider good:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    In the Mood for Love
    My Neighbour Totoro
    The Seventh Seal
    Harakiri (1962)
    The 47 Ronin
    Come and See
    There Will Be Blood
    In Bruges
    Requiem for a Dream

TV series: Breaking Bad, The Wire, in the line of duty, Ozark.

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Can't say what's best but for some reason I can watch Atonement over and over - probably because it's beautiful to watch but themes are disatisfying.
    Same with Midsommar.
    Another vote for Fleabag. Waiting for another season.
    Also enjoyed that series with the 4 millenials - can't remember the name right now. Hilarious! and supporting actors were great.

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2022
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Went to TopGun Maverick today - yeah, I know, hubby's birthday request - expecting it to be as eyerolling as the first movie (which was awesome in it's time but didn't date well).

Asides from the unrequired but compulsory "sex scene", was pleasantly surprised - wasn't earth shatteringly amazing, but an entertaining way to wile away a few hours in a recliner with a bucket of popcorn

Redwing likes this.
  10. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Back in the day before streaming it was hard to come by a copy of this one. Finally a film on the horrors of the Eastern Front which is largely ignored by Western studios. Not totally accurate but still very good -TIKhistory on Youtube, an absolute pedant when it comes to this stuff, does a good take on it.
    David Simon was involved in co-writing with the recent mini series 'We Own This City' based on the real life racketeering and corruption of the Baltimore PD. Not as good as The Wire (nothing is) but still worth a look.

Simon and Ed Burns (co-creator of The Wire) are also responsible for 'The Plot Against America', another good mini series (based on an alternate history of the US becoming fascist in the 40s and unfortunately relevant now with the lingering stench of Trumpism in America). Would not necessarily recommend it to fans of 'The Wire' though, a totally different show.

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  11. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Hard to say but Goodfellas would be in the top 5 movies I've seen. I love this 3min tracking shot by Scorsese

I saw this mindbending movie called Coherence (2013) recently (it's on SBS On Demand atm) and was shot with a $50k budget. For the first 10 mins I had my doubts if I would like this movie but glad I continued watching

Sackie and geoffw like this.
  12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Thank you so much for including where to stream, that's really helpful.

If people have watched something that's still available to be streamed, please include details of where you watched it. That really helps other people who may be interested to watch.

13. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

Movie : Back to the Future - I never get sick of the series
    Show - GOT has to be up there till the last season which I found a bit disappointing.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is great, seen it a few times now… enjoy
    Too much fun

geoffw likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone watching the New Zealand quirky movies:) there are more….