Young Investors on Australian Property Investment magazine

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Yinka Dare, 1st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Has anyone got a picture of Nadia and Katia?

S.T and Elives like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Player said " I've been in this game for over 35 years and I still subscribe to API. What if you learnt only one thing or had one inspiration from each issue or even just one issue per year. Do you not think that would be worth your while?"

I think thats a great point.

That's the exact same reason why I read the mags. Not just mags but books too. I figure, in all the 12 issues a year, if only 3 sentences inspires me/opens up my mind to an opportunity that I act on, then its more than worth it for me. And tbh this has happened a few times over the years.

Last edited: 1st Apr, 2016
    KMD, Player, charttv and 2 others like this.
  3. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

@datto , i thought you would be diligently reading the article to get investment ideas instead of checking them out.:p:D

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nadia?

[​IMG]

Katia??

Dan Donoghue, Barny and eng like this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

All right ! Wait, that's Nadia...right?

OMG, SNM, you ruined it lol

7. Daisycutter4

Daisycutter4 Well-Known Member

hi all,
    Nadia and Katie approached us with their story and were next in line on the list of young guns. We try, and mostly succeed, at getting a good mix of young guns from a broad cross section of investors - from those who started from scratch through to those who are lucky enough to get some help. The common theme - these are young starters who have decided not to squander their good fortune or hard work, but instead invest and learn about property. Like most young guns, neither Nadie nor Katie would claim to be experts in the field but they're certainly can claim to be having a go, and I think that brings some cred to the game. If their stories don't appeal, there's plenty more in terms of inspiration and information in the Mag.
    And if you have a story that you believe is worth sharing them tell me! We rely on investors who want to talk about their journey in the hopes it will help others - drop me a line. I would live to tell your tales.

8. Daisycutter4

Also of note, the Investor of The Year Award for Kate Maloney wasn't an API Magazine thing - we don't do that sort of thing - although we did feature Kate some years back (2008 I think) in a general profile on mining town investment.

Cactus likes this.
  9. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

You can't please everyone. How about saying Good on anyone who has a go? Wether they get help or not is irrelevant. People have choices, they could have been given the money and blown the lot, instead they've chosen to invest it.

If anyone gets given opportunity, they should take it, good on them.

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Good advice.

11. Kate Moloney

It doesn't matter who published us, I think the point people are getting at is that its mainly young guns who get published when they are successful. Perhaps people want to see whats real - and see both sides of the coin - not just the success stories?

First we didn't put all our money in mining. Second we didn't claim to be experts - but we were listening to and getting mentoring from "experts". Third, at the time it was a good story and the prices hadn't dropped so far when the award was given, so its a bit unfair to have a go at the magazine for giving us the award when you have historical hindsight.

We started with next to nothing and ended up with a large portfolio in just over 3 years. Regardless of todays results, it was a fair effort to accumulate all those properties, most people wouldn't do it in a lifetime...... we certainly got no hand outs, we moved half way across the country, lived and worked in a mining town, saved lots of money, developed property and hired mentors.

I have approached YIP mag a number of times to do a follow up story and they have declined. That is society these days, success sells, failure doesn't. I reckon you can learn equally as much from your failures and its your ability to get back up that counts, not some magazine award or article.

bwklau, B-Mac, charttv and 5 others like this.
  12. Carrytrader

Carrytrader Active Member

Skeptical on these investor of the year awards. You know what really matter in investment? Your tracking record and the risk you took to get there. I'm all for encouraging property investment as long term generator of wealth.

But one question I have when I see these fluff pieces is: how did they handle the last downturn? Exactly.

13. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Had this discussion before. Plenty of people get given stuff. These girls have used it to begin the path of securing their future.

Boring.

WattleIdo and Sackie like this.
  14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Financial momentum

Ta
    Rolf

legallyblonde likes this.
  15. Daisycutter4

Fair call Kate. Just frustrated at the number of media people who get the mags mixed up.

16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

How much money do you need to have made toget in one of those magazines?

I need another coffee 2SM thanks.

17. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Ooo, I am sure. Who wont be. :D:p

Cactus likes this.
  18. Kate Moloney

Unfortunately you get tarred with the same brush. Comes with the territory :)

The young people that get featured often haven't been through a full market cycle because they are just starting out.

TaylorChang and Daisycutter4 like this.
  19. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

@Daisycutter4 Here is an opportunity to differentiate your magazine further. Might be a risk but also an opportunity - i.e educating people of property spruikers, so called "experts". I understand that some of these people may be advertising with you but if you keep the messages general and generic then this should not upset anyone and I personally think that it would be a good and eye-opening read. At the end of the day - all investments have an element of risk associated with them so I don't see why we can't publicly talk about some of the potential risks linked with property investing.

Daisycutter4 and Kate Moloney like this.
  20. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

That issue can have a noose on the front cover :p