Young Investors on Australian Property Investment magazine

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Yinka Dare, 1st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Well-Known Member

Just posting in regards to the young property investors recently featured in API magazine. In the past two months they have featured young good looking female investors. I think it is great that they have invested in property and have had some success.

My real issue is that both of these girls (Katie King and Nadia Hana) have been given large sums of money given to them to purchase their first property. One might argue that the majority of young people trying to get into the market do not have this luxury. The articles do not help young investors who have to do all the saving themselves.

I believe if these two girls were not attractive, they would probably not feature at all. I would rather read about young people who have saved the deposit up themselves, without a 20k gift from the parents. This would make it easy to get into the market for almost anyone. The fact that they then talk about being experts gives me a bit of a chuckle....almost as must as the young investor who put all her money into mining towns at the peak. The fact the magazine decided she was the best investor gets me a little worried about who gives out the award.

I will give the magazine one more chance. I would rather hear about a person working hard to get into the market.

TaylorChang, bobbyj, eskander and 6 others like this.
  2. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

You know you've made it big time, when your featured in API. Only the most successful will make the magazine.
    Katie and nadia are smart, be like Katie and nadia.

Gypsyblood, GOU, TaylorChang and 5 others like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

There was a whole thread about property magazines awhile back.

It is what it is. I have also read some investor stories from mags I thought were a waste of time and some of the stories I enjoyed. Nowadays I just glance over what doesn't interest me and read the stuff that I might be interested in. My view is the magazines are not 'perfect' nor will they ever be. I have found that reading widely from mags, books, forum, etc keeps me in check and my BS meter strong. No one source of information is ever enough.

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Why let things like facts get in the way of sensational cover stories

TaylorChang, tavinium, Azazel and 3 others like this.
  5. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@Yinka Dare
    @monalisa and I featured last year. Done it on our own.

We started with $40k in Nov 2009 and have done well given we didn't have the same backing.

I can understand your frustration. What you often won't hear is the financial support some get to establish portfolios. It just doesn't make a good story.

Happy to speak with you and shed light on our experiences.

Keep focused you will get there.

TaylorChang, RiMo, Tranquilo and 4 others like this.
  6. House

House Well-Known Member

You might think it 'unfair' that they're given that advantage but how many young people would have gone on to do what they did after receiving large sums (how much was it?) of money?

I know of two friends who received hefty inheritances and guess where it went... Down the drain! These girls had the smarts to use it wisely.

I'm sure there's a good few young, attractive females out there who have a decent amount saved but just not sure what to do with it, this story would be a good read for them.

jefn89, Gypsyblood, Lambo and 6 others like this.
  7. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Well-Known Member

@monalisa I have been investing in property since about 2009. Similar to you in time and that I had to work 60 hour weeks to get a good deposit. I do enjoy reading the young investor stuff but just believe a lot of it would NOT have happened if they didn't have rich parents (cannot think of many people who got handed 20k from parents). Its true they have used the money wisely, but that is not my point.

Love to hear your story though

TaylorChang and Property Twins like this.
  8. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Whilst I have a massive dislike with the way these articles are written and how much they decide to omit, I wanted to weigh in on the conversation.

It's not always hard work.

We were not even looking to buy a house, we were quite happy to keep renting but in 2009 the government was giving out 24 grand if we bought a brand new house.

14K of that covered LMI on a 100% home loan and 10K covered modest furniture, we were now homeowners.

Roll on 2015 and the boom has taken care of us, we now have equity. I wasn't smart, I didn't calculate this, it just happened.

There are other factors in the last 6 months that will help on our investment journey but the point is even previous to this, it wasn't hard. Go to work, come home, pay mortgage. It used to be Go to work, come home, pay rent.

What we do from here is what will define us as investors, how we got to this points makes no difference.

Gypsyblood, andrew_t, bobbyj and 10 others like this.
  9. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Why would you have an issue with this? Im sure every investor on this forum has had a different starting point. Some would of had to work their butts off to get into the market. Others would of had help from family etc. I know that if I had kids, I'd be doing all i possibly could to educate them on the importance of investing, and also be giving them as much financial help as I possibly could.
    I haven't read the article, but rather than making a judgement from their start, I'd be alot more interested by what they did. Where they invested, what strategies worked for them? How they grew their property holdings.
    Alot of young people can be careless with $$, at least these young people had the intelligence to use the money wisely.

10. joel

joel Well-Known Member

I started out by giving my parents money instead of the other way around. Can I be on the cover of a magazine? Or will being ugly and male hold me back?

11. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

I thi
    I think it will hold you back unless you are willing to put some foundation and pose for the camera.
    :p:D

Regards

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

"Supply and demand", along with "sex sells". That's pretty much it isn't?

Eric Wu, Amberlee and legallyblonde like this.
  13. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Is $20,000 considered a "lot" of money?

Gypsyblood, Elives and legallyblonde like this.
  14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

For many of the working class its a part time annual salary

15. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Peace and out :)

Sackie likes this.
  16. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Yes and No.

Yes. The first bits are the hardest. Like others I was able to purchase IP2 (awaiting settlement) BECAUSE of equity that had build up in IP1 (approx 20k to access + savings)... 20k is a significant portion of a deposit. So I still do think it is a leg up!

No. Relative to the wealth that can be generated it isn't a large amount in the scheme of things.

Daisycutter4 likes this.
  17. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Works out at the age pension rate.. So yep. Enough to live on for a year is considered a fair bit of money ;) It is twice as much as I was getting on youth allowance a year.

18. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to help them.

Waldo, ashish1137 and bob shovel like this.
  19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Me too, as soon as I came out of the womb I went guarantor for my parents 1st IP.

Tony Fleming likes this.
  20. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

They don't always go for good looking, sometimes they go for ridiculously good looking people. Check out that Tony bloke :p

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

jefn89 likes this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.