You are the OG's of this forum.?

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Whitecat, 19th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Interesting, thank you.

I can see a post of mine from June 2000, where I didn't see much potential in Canberra. I ended up buying a number of properties in the area.

That was earlier than I'd realised, though I can't match @Rolf Latham and his BBS.

The late Geoff Doidge, one half of the Reno Kings, was posting there. Initially he posted as Geoff. On one post, he posted as "Geoff not Geoff W", then later as Geoff1. I remember him being quite annoyed about a complete newbie with a username so similar to his.

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That clears up my own timeline a bit. I must have first joined while running the business, which was from 1999 - 2001. I know that I did first read the forum from my office, but also remember logging on from our home, which we sold before the business sold, so my best guess is 2000. I was probably a lurker for a little while before I got brave & posted.

geoffw likes this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

There's lots of names I recognise, and I do remember Geoff1 as well.

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I joined in 2011 (I'm a baby!!)
    I got to know about the forum via property meetups Simon held in Chatswood RSL that he advertised on the meetup website.
    I think that was from about 2009. (I only had a "genuine" IP from 2008, which is when we bought a house, and I kept my first unit).
    I lurked on the forum for about 2 years before actually creating an account and posting. Like Skater, I was intimidated/nervous to post for quite a while, scared if what I might wrote was wrong/my lack of knowledge would be exposed. Eventually, by the late Somersoft days and early PC days, you couldn't stop me posting....

Last edited: 21st Feb, 2022
    wylie likes this.
  5. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

I am more of a baby gangster I joined in 2018 however I've be reading these forums years before that without actually participating in it.

6. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

And I remember when they were somersoft, I used to research different suburbs on there.

7. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

TC stopped posting but alive and well still on the farm.
    Dazz became indisposed.

Last edited: 21st Feb, 2022
  8. Phar Lap

I was a member of Newcastle Freestylers, went to a few meetings.
    Diff user name though back then.

9. Phar Lap

5th Sept 2000 is earliest post I made I can find on theForum TOC (framed) under "thorpedo" handle. They were the good ole days.

10. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I first joined end of 2002.
    There was a nice little boom and the speaker/spruikers were out full force. Always curious I ended up on a yahoo forum. From there I was invited to join a "better" forum by a few nice peeps.
    I remember some good and prolific posters (had a look to refresh my memory) like Topcropper, BV, Asy, Rockstar, Bill L., Ocean View, Evand, Brenda, Crispy, Josko, Les, Julia Hartman, Ausprop, Peter 14.7 and I probly forgot some others.

@skater I thought you still had a rink when I joined. Maybe not.
    When/why did you start thinking as an investor?

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I don't think I was intimidated or nervous in the first days. More along the lines of not much to say, and busy mopping up all the good info.

LOL! We know! :p

kierank and Gockie like this.
  12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Wow! What a blast from the past. In 2002 we would have still had the Business Card business, which was stumbling along, not the skating rink. Back then, believe it or not, full colour was very expensive, so you could get a premium for them. Selling only 5 sets a week, yielded approx $500pw income, which you could live on. Not a huge lifestyle, but enough to get by.

We'd moved to Sydney by then, but our sales rep wanted to keep working. He was on commission only. He got approx $50 for each set he sold. He didn't sell that many, but it supplemented his pension. We kept the business limping along until he decided he'd had enough.

13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I still feel intimidated/nervous about this to this very day :D.

As I get very little abuse about my perceived lack of knowledge, I can only assume most PC members know even less than I do :p.

Gockie and skater like this.
  14. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Me too! I still feel very small here compared to the Giants (past and present ) here:D

On that note, blast from the past! I think i must have joined the old Somersoft forum in 2003?

I thank whoever guided me there; I've met some great people along the way..most are so willing to share knowledge and encouragement ! And some still remain ever so Humble:)

I am now happily retired:D and i credit the bulk of that to this forum...

and to Oscar the SS forumite who inspired me with his "no flips..no flops ..no renos ? just holding that 4 ? 5 properties " comment...truly Simplicity is a beautiful thing!:D

Jacque, Gockie, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hey, I've met you. I think I'm probably the smallest here. Not even 5ft. :eek:

The Y-man likes this.
  16. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Okay..you win !:p:D

skater likes this.
  17. apk

apk Well-Known Member

I first joined SS in 2007.