YIP Investor of the Year 2012

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Tonibell, 7th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Common its easy. :p

Xenia likes this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe it comes with age,and depending how many real estate cycles you go through,and like many things in the fast bucks world of real estate,at the start some only are focused on the outcome,and not the process of getting there,so you make your plans on the facts of the day
    because market conditions always dictate the strategy to use,then add expensive education programs ,and from reading some of the problem investors now face in several mine towns that are in several different property related sites,some who came in late lost a lot of money,others experienced falling apart of relationships,or that back pain turns into a serious medical catastrophe,.
    But back to your question,about the lying game,myself every mistake i have made and there has been many,and still ones i don't know about,but every mistake i still remember,and i know how to say "no"..

BigKahuna likes this.
  3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

And after Xenia's post

Reality...:D

[​IMG]

Jess Peletier, MTR, Xenia and 3 others like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Doing well in business is very, very tough. Real estate is tough. Imo its not for everyone. Also creating millions in wealth is not everyone's game imho.

BigKahuna and Xenia like this.
  5. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

OK, now I understand what you classify as "retirement".

I have a different definition - probably more along the lines of "financial freedom". About the only part of your definition I semi-agree with is the "quit work" part, seeing as that is often the first thing people do once they are financially free (or at least, they might cut back on hours/responsibility).

If you have chosen to define retirement as absolutely meaning pension-level lifestyle, nothing interesting to occupy your mind etc etc, then that's your choice. I doubt that's the first thing many members here think (yes, I am well aware SOME do), but hey, I could well be wrong.

The only people I've met who turn their nose up at someone else's desire to retire, are people who can't imagine an identity outside of their work.

Edit: sigh, typo

Last edited: 3rd Jan, 2016
    BigKahuna, MTR, HUGH72 and 3 others like this.
  6. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Isn't it interesting how everyone has different meanings for different words?

Retirement in the dictionary:
    1) removal of something from service or use.
    2) the act of retiring, withdrawing, or leaving; the state of being retired.
    3) the act of retiring or leaving one's job, career, or occupation permanently, usually because of age.

I generally dislike the word because it indicates age, no longer of service ... expired ...

Heard it in the mines constantly ...... "can't wait till I retire and get out of this place so I can go fishing every day" ....ugh........Stuff that. Just live a life you enjoy, wether thats cutting back on work hours, doing property deals, working a job you like.... whatever it means to you ...... just live a good life every day of your life.

BigKahuna, MTR and Xenia like this.
  7. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Sorry willair, that question was a copy/paste from one of the articles you posted up. Neil Jenman ... interesting guy, he cops a bit of flack for calling it as it is ... and not from the consumer side :)

8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Nooooooooo! Lol
    At least The house in the background is attractive. :)

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Weird people.
    I've seen so many old people that should retire, but still going to work. I guess they don't really have a life outside of work.

10. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I used to work with a colleague like that. She is in her 70s, owns her house in Drummone overlooking the water which was paid off 40 years ago and she is tight with her money. She enjoys taking things from other people and very stingy with spending money on others, even to her own family. She is not married and can see why, because she is selfish.

Anyway, she keeps forcing herself to go to work everyday because she has nothing else going for her and wants to have abit more super.

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I also know a few people. One guy worth about $12mil, yet he shops at lowes and tries to save money - he would buy a water at coles when we went to a takeaway shop next door so he could save 50c.

Another guy on a high salary but he doesn't spend much, he already has passive income of about $100k but probably lives on $20k. yet he won't quit work, which he complains about all the time.

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's cheaper at ALDI, 63 cents per 1.5 litre and the water tastes better..

Terry_w likes this.
  13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Quite a few people like this on the forum. :D

Know exactly what you mean....!!! People like these annoy me.

Terry_w likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

too funny Xenia, nice house:)

Xenia likes this.
  15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

What a handsome strapping lad......

16. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Agree totally. i was actually made redundant couple years ago and wanted to take a year or two off but found it was really bored.was in my 30s and i had 3 H&L builds to manage i still felt unaccomplished and although many would not agree with me i actually enjoy working in a corporate job. i then went to work for a company which was voted "australia's best work place for 3 years " and it was a great place to work even as a contractor as you could come in dressed how you wanted. there was always corporate lunches, tables tennis, video games, in house massages and the CEO spend his time strumming his guitar for anyone's birthday.

Kate Moloney and Xenia like this.
  17. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

There are so many different visions of 'retirement'. Different strokes for different folks. Who am I to judge what makes someone happy in their retirement?

Kate Moloney, Xenia and MTR like this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

BK
    Spot on. Live and let live:)

Kate Moloney, Xenia and BigKahuna like this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just dont let retire :p

hobo and MTR like this.
  20. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

I think this is the way these people managed to create their wealth. After a point, it becomes difficult to leave that life style as you cannot dear to spend more.

Maybe these people are justified to some extent. Usually people would increase their expenditure with growing income but then, with changing circumstances, you need to quickly cut-down the expenses as well, which sometimes becomes difficult. Hence, in order toplay safe, they Krupp their expenses low, just sharing my thought.

I would like to become one of those in order to save some money but growing family needs don't permit all that. :)

I do however save wherever i can cut down the expenses but that is to be under our monthly permitted expenses. I don't know if it is called being miser or just usual normal mediocre life. :cool:

Regards