Year build of the house

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by retiredsailor, 25th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. retiredsailor

retiredsailor Member

Hi there

Very new to this property stuff, and trying to find my first place to call home. One particular house that I like and inspected. The CoS and Sec32 does not give much information for the building it is all about the land. I can tell the land was subdivided in year 1956 and the building must have been built after that. Is there anyway I can find out which year the house was built? Call local council?

Thanks

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Many of them don't hold records that far back AFAIK.

And in all honesty, whether it was built in 1956 for 1966 or even 1976 probably doesn't make a huge difference at the end of the day unless you are trying to the value the authenticity of some art deco fittings or something.

Really, most of the innards have probably changed, and of the house is still standing, it'll probably stay standing for a while longer yet.

Why do you want to know?

The Y-man

3. The Y-man

Note - I fully get why people would need to know for various tax purposes etc for more recent builds.

The Y-man

4. retiredsailor

retiredsailor Member

Thanks for your response. The property looks a bit dated from outside, just a typical OZ brick-verneer home, but still looks great from the inside. Reason for me trying to find out is i. curious, ii. insurance company always ask before issue a policy.

5. The Y-man

RACV building insurance have only asked an approximate age from memory - more interested in replacement costs, outstanding issues etc.

The Y-man