WWYD 12 Months to live?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 21st May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Do doctors put such a diagnosis in writing or are you just verballed? :eek:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is that the lottery?

3. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Not quite.

If you were to know where, you would know a place to avoid.

Until you are ready...

4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Ahhh but if it's sickness. It won't matter where you are:)

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

in that case, I'd stop whatever job I have and devote time into researching everything into the disease I have. I have a biological science degree.... I'd do everything to learn about the disease and look for a cure or at least something to slow the disease down.
    This will also help all sufferers of the disease.... :)

I wouldn't underestimate the research skills of a person when their life depends on it!! Seek out the best medical treatment, seek out the writings and research of the scientific leaders of the field...

EN710 and luckyone like this.
  6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

If I had a terminal illness with only months to live. I might try a few natural or unconventional treatments. But ultimately I'd just try and enjoy my last months and not spend it fighting

7. Gockie

If I had to classify myself with a religion, it would be "scientist". Science can go a loooonnnng way in a mere 12 months. If there is some knowledge of the etiology of the disease, I'd also look to sign up to drug trials (scientists wouldn't run trials in humans unless there was some sound basis to it, would they?) Help science and possibly help yourself too. :)

8. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Job: Set things up for my juniors to take over, consider bringing someone in to help alleviate the workload so I can leave asap.
    Assets: Assets themselves are fine and the structure is set, but the arrangement is a bit complex. Probably just write up a wiki explaining which split is for what and the intended direction of each investment.
    Friends/family: Obviously spend more time with family, teach my parents how to put my son down for a nap, which are his favourite bedtime books, how to hold him for maximum giggles.
    Travel: Nurburgring :D
    Lifestyle: Racetrack.

Finally the most important question:
    I already am :) (but without the dying part)

Sticky and Sackie like this.
  9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Job: Tell my work, Probably won't quit right away. I will look for work from home arrangements, any work support program etc.

Assets: Discuss it with hubby to make sure he has all he needs to live well and take care of the dogs.

Friends/family : Close friends and family - I'll meet them and enjoy good time together. Others... I'd just say "See you on the other side :)"

Travel: Go shark dive and sky dive, maybe closer to the day I'm going to kark it

Lifestyle: Take it easy. Maybe splurge a little

Anything else: Find ways to live better and longer.

10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

In which case, you need to decide if you want to be sick (and evaluate the probability of your recovery), or dead.

Then you can decide to go to that place, or not.

11. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

If you need an expiry date as a prompter to complete many of your life's key desires, then you're already behind schedule. That's not to say you should aim to complete everything ASAP, as that has sustainability implications, rather just do or set things up enough that if you died right now you would consider you lived the best life you could have given the circumstances.

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Call me cynical but determination is good but hardly the most critical thing..
    You have companies spending millions of dollars researching and experimenting cures.

Highly unlikely one individual is going to make any difference even if their life depended on it

13. Gockie

This guy.
    MND: Researcher Justin Yerbury's fight to eradicate ruthless disease - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Yes, one driven person can make a huge difference... he only did the science degree (and PhD) because so many of his family members were suffering from and/or died from MND.

Terry_w likes this.
  14. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I watched this on Australian story. Amazing story of a non-scientist going back to Uni to study science and become a world leading researcher. The disease has gotten hold of him now and he is unable to speak or move independantly, but is still researching.

Gockie likes this.
  15. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I had a distant family member die this morning of a disease. He knew it was coming and about 1.5 weeks ago we were told he had about 2 weeks left.

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

OMG
    This has gotten me thinking. With current life expectancy rates, I only have 30 years left.

17. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Don’t waste it in Ikea

Terry_w, Gockie and Angel like this.
  18. Gockie

Side note.... MND... I am no expert on it but it can be such a horrid disease. Your mind is still perfectly clear but in severe cases your body ends up "locked in" and almost completely useless. Can't even breathe independently. Eyes still work though.

The thing that also makes it so horrible is that I think it has a higher incidence in very active/life loving people.... cyclists, sportspeople, etc. Maybe the excessive activity then triggers the autoimmune response attack on the myelin sheaths of the nerve cells? There is a genetic link, but only rarely is there a past family history. Anyway... think I'd rather have Parkinsons than MND.

Last edited: 27th May, 2018
  19. Gockie

So sorry to hear that Terry. My condolences are with you.

Last edited: 27th May, 2018
    Terry_w likes this.
  20. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Thoughts with you Terry.

4 yrs ago saw my sister with cancer, that came on quickly, thought I’d see her again before the end, she seemed such a long way off dying.
    3 days later she was gone.

Terry_w likes this.