Wrong information about house

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by DevKZ, 13th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DevKZ

DevKZ Well-Known Member

so we should forgive and understand everybody who fraud you or ripping out of you for your inner peace then?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

But you haven't been 'ripped off'.

You can walk away from the purchase - or offer less - now that you have this information if it is the most important aspect to you.

There may be a 'cooling off' penalty but it may be worth it to you (I don't know the regs in your state).

You haven’t mentioned if the building and pest report was otherwise good or not?

Next time, insist on seeing proof of the practical completion date before you make an offer.

3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

This is not your pool is sticking out to the neighbours property and you have to fill it in. Most people dont think a 2 year old house and a 3 year old house are any different. The selling process can take months. Get over it. Or walk away. And next time check everything.

If only you think its a problem maybe the actual problem is......

Savy mum and 158 like this.
  4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

while it may well be a misrepresentation and have legal rights to terminate, compensation etc, what is your loss. Even before that, is the misrep material?

5. DevKZ

DevKZ Well-Known Member

1 year less warranty for building & structure? when it comes to selling after 7 years - it will becomes 10 years old instead of 9 years old!

6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

What is your loss in $? If you settled and want to go them for misrepresentation then I would estimate your costs would be:
    Initial case assessment $1650
    Letter of demand and negotiations $3,000
    Litigated case $60-$120,000

Terry_w likes this.
  7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

It is probably not a good idea to invent a problem and have a heart attack, in preference to having inner peace. If the house is only just over 3 years old now it may have been under 3 years old when the advertisement was wrote, making it only 2 years old then. If a few months difference in the age of a house is such a problem how will you react to a real problem ? You sound some-one who just likes to create drama. Chill out !

Harveys likes this.
  8. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Seriously ......

I’d be surprised if any serious investors would even think about the difference .

Me , if I thought about it , I’d be think good . It gives another year for the house to “settle “and make it easier if there are any serious issues that might not be obvious in a new house .

I’ve even heard of people not bothering doing a building inspection on a new house they’ve had built only to find out that there were major structural problems and then the builder went under ...

Cliff

dabbler and The Y-man like this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Do you still want the house?

If not, it may be worth the small cost to withdraw under the cooling off provisions. That will limit your financial liability. You can then enter discussions to have the penalty waived due to incorrect information given.

If you still want the house but hope to renegotiate the price, you may still have to rescind the contract.

Consult your solicitor.

But act quickly. Time limits apply to all contract conditions and depend in which state you are buying.
    Marg

The Y-man likes this.
  10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

House is another 14 hours older since start of thread, better calculate that into the requested discount too. Tick tock.

11. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

You would of inspected the house so surely you purchased what you inspected and they didn’t do a shifty and transfer a 1 year older home to the block?

Gockie and The Y-man like this.
  12. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We'll perhaps cool off/quit the contract. Your not going to hear the answers you want to hear on here because nobody sees it as a big deal or "fraud" by the agent. The agent only writes what the vendor tells them, and even so there are not any guarantees. Its your responsibility to check that your happy with the house before signing anything. You should have checked the build date with council prior to signing if this was going to be such an issue for you.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Was 2 years used in the public advertising?

Is it over 3 years since built or since someone first moved in?

If I buy a widget that has been sitting on the store shelf for 1 year beforehand, how old is it 1 year after I purchase it? Most would say 1 year even though it has been 2+ years since manufactured. It's possible that the house you bought is 'less than 3 years old' even if built over 3 years ago.

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If the DA was almost expired when construction commenced, the design could be over 8 years old. OMG, that's almost last century. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    dabbler likes this.