Wrong addresses and no name

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by tilt10, 17th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Just got back from Italy.We spent hours trying to get into some Airbnb's
    For what ever reason many people are trying to hide the fact that they are on AIrbnb.
    Lake Como. No street sign. The taxi driver didn't even know where it was.
    Turin. There was now name on the buzzer plate at the entrance to the block of units. Had to ring every buzzer. Eventually the owner came down about an hour late. Had a massive fight and stormed off. We booked hotel around the corner. This was with Booking.com

Aosta. This was the worst ever. Arrived at the address provided . No name on buzzer plate.
    Rang every buzzer in block. Annoyed every owner about half a dozen times.
    Tried to ring the owner numerous times. No answer.
    Eventually checked email to discover that that the owner had changed the phone number the day before we arrived. Brilliant. Got the Italian guy from the local bar who could speak fluent Italian to ring the owner..
    The owner informed us that this was not the real address and that the property was down the road 200 metres . Brilliant.
    So the owner deliberately put the wrong address on the add to avoid tax or hide from the neighbours.and change the phone number the day before we arrived.
    Brilliant. it took us three hours to get into this Airbnb and the day was over.

What i find with Airbnb landlords is that they want the money but don't want to provide any sought of service.
    They are constantly trying to hide from the tax man or from the neighbours.. Very frustrating.

2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Italy is known for tax avoidance. They will eventually end up like Greece.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@tilt10 - don't forget to keep a copy of your invoice as you will be fined as well as the owner.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

If you want professional hospitality service stay at a professional property! And book before you go, never ceased to amaze me how many people just expect a room when they turn up.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We also had issues in New York as owner didn't give us the address. Wanted us to meet him outside a nearby bank. Problem was we waited outside the wrong branch. Emails, calls and two hours spent trying to connect. He had told us a few months before we arrived that New York was cracking down on AirBNBs and we had to tell anyone who asked that we were his relatives.

There seemed to be plenty of other "relatives" with suitcases arriving and leaving the other apartments in the building.

And in Paris, we also had trouble getting into the building and then getting into the apartment.

Both times, we were tired from travelling, wanted to get inside and sit down. It did put me off AirBNB a little, though both locations were amazing and ultimately, being mid-city, were probably half the price of an hotel.

6. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Wylie. Yes you are so tired from travelling. and quite often only have that one afternoon to look around a city. By the time you have booked into some of these places the day is over . We wasted two hours trying to get into our unit in Turin and had very little time to see the city. Yep. Turns me off..

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Sadly, reports of these and similar hassles turned us off using Airbnb on a recent overseas trip. We did look, but many listings openly advised to pretend we were visitors, not to speak to other residents or neighbours - which I took to understand these rentals were illegal.

Another friend had her ten day stay in New York cancelled a week before they were to arrive. Airbnb gave a cash bonus on top of refunded fees but they struggled to find similar accommodation, even at a much higher price.

On our recent trip we had four tour members who spent days trying to confirm access instructions for an Airbnb stay in Seattle after the tour with no response. They were arriving in the city at 11pm and left Alaska not knowing how and if they would be able to gain access.

So we paid more for hotels, but had the advantage of no last-minute worries or hassles.
    Marg

8. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Airbnb has to get on top of this.
    Any owner who gives the wrong address should be banned instantly. Not rocket science Airbnb
    Any owner who does not display his correct name on the buzzer plate at the entrance should be banned instantly. Not rocket science Airbnb

9. Noobieboy

Well maybe message AirBnB and air your grief?

10. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how this can occur unless all the previous guest had no problems with this listing or the host is a new host? Surely if all the guests had the same issue, they would had either mentioned it in their reviews or marked them down for the check in section.

I'm afraid of the government cracking down on Airbnb in Australia because that could be disastrous for tourism, both internationally and domestically! I've been told by a lot of my guests that they can only afford to visit certain states now due to the affordability of accommodations!

teetotal likes this.
  11. Noobieboy

Nah. I doubt it will have a significant impact on tourism. Have you seen prices in Monaco and Geneva? Still they get heaps of tourists. And Australia is way prettier.

12. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Thanks Noob. Yes sent my complaint off. They said they would look into it.
    Very weary now.

13. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Marg. Thanks for your response. Seems this is very common now. I now want conformation
    by email that the correct address and phone number have been supplied and that the correct name is on the buzzer plate downstairs.
    Bit like playing " Where's Wally"

Marg4000 likes this.
  14. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I have used lots of rentals via many sites (with due diligence) and it has gone well but I expect that I will have to go to a hotel if it doesn't. I'd think twice if hotel availability was a challenge - nothing to stop an owner relisting on another site at a premium ;)

If short term rentals are illegal in the city you are staying in, then your risk of something going wrong gone right up. Is isn't really realistic to expect to always get away with something that isn't allowed.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if we'd asked for a refund (assuming there was a no refund policy for the New York place we booked), if we would have received it?

It was not long before we flew out that we got news that the city was cracking down on AirBNB places, certainly after we'd booked and paid (with a no refund policy I think).

16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Airbnb would have been on your side IMO. From everything I've read, as long as the guest isn't entirely unreasonable, they side with the guest, rather than hosts when it comes to disputes.