Education & Work Written Reference of employment etiquette: letting your boss know?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 1st Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Is it etiquette to let your superior know when giving written references while employed?

1. Yes, absolute courtesy and respect

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No, not required, but I do anyway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, not required and its personal, so I never

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Up to the individual

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

So recently Ive been asked to write (on separate occasions and for different staff)
    a reference for employment, and a character reference.

I happily obliged, but I feel its courtesy and respectful to let the boss/your superior know that you are doing it. As you dont want your boss to surprisingly find out you did one, or you get mistaken for doing something behind their back, nor reveal any information that may be commercially sensitve or the preference of the superior to be kept confidential,

However, telling your boss also reveals certain aspects of the employee in question whether it be looking for another job, needing a character reference etc.

for me, the boss' respect comes first, so I always let my boss know, and depending on the situation, I give them a copy first for approval

if I was a boss, and found out my manager had written one and not told me, I wouldnt be upset, but I would have preferred he told me, just because I dont like surprises

Last edited: 1st Oct, 2018
  2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I think it’s up to the individual. I personally sometimes tell my boss, sometimes I don’t. If I know that whoever left is not entirely comfortable, shy or has a not so great relationship with the boss, might not worth it telling the boss. Otherwise might be ok.

I never give references unless I know the person very well and I’m comfortable to stand by it.

Note some companies have a policy in regards to written references. So better check these. I usually provide oral or rarely email reference.

TMNT likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Written references! Surely not in 2018...

These days, the only references I encounter are the ones that happen on the phone in a referee check. This is usually the last step before selecting a candidate - after interviews (and psych tests etc if applicable).

When someone asks you for a reference do you inform them that you will be running it past your boss?

4. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Your manager, meaning a subordinate? Who cares? Shouldn't they have the say in who works for them? If they're happy to let someone go, it shouldn't be on you.
    Unless the levels of management and/or responsibilities are murky, I don't see how it's your place.

If someone on my level came to me for a reference, I'd treat it as a confidential request and not tell my/our supervisor.

You're putting yourself into workplace bullying territory if you do.

Otie and Joynz like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it is a personal character reference, no.

But if it is a professional reference, and you are using company letterhead, you should definitely consult your boss.
    Mar got

6. PurpleTurtle

PurpleTurtle Well-Known Member

This ^

When I am recruiting, a written reference is worthless. I’ll be asking for contact details of a referee I can call.

As for when I am asked to be a referee for another staff member, I treat this as confidential. I see no reason at all to tell my supervisor about it. I feel the same about people who report to me actting as referees for others.

Joynz likes this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The trouble with phone references is that it's more difficult to identify who you are talking with, especially with mobile numbers.

It's quite easy for somebody to set up a friend with another identity. I've had that done when I had my fast food store.

It's also easy for employees to omit employers who they think will not give them a good reference.

I had one employee for some time who was always difficult. He was a heavy drinker, and I had suspected him of tickling the till. We were really surprised when we saw him not too many years later working as a policeman. Nobody had ever contacted us for a reference check.

Several months ago I saw that he had been suspended for sex with a child and several assaults - offences which had occurred before he was employed by me.

TMNT likes this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

^ this

Have never really understood the referee system

I mean, you're never going to list someone who will give you a bad one

Also how easy is it to get your fake friend to do one for you. Or even a former or current colleague that you are very chummy with

I didn't think anyone could be so dumb with referees until recently where a former employee who was let go due to 4 sickies in her first 3 weeks by the big boss

Reapply for the same job putting me as a reference and putting me as the owner

inertia likes this.
  9. PurpleTurtle

PurpleTurtle Well-Known Member

No, you wouldn’t list someone who would give a bad reference. But I can call that person and ask specific targeted questions about the applicant related to the job and the selection criteria.

They could go to the trouble of trying to get a friend to fake things, just like they could lie in an interview about accomplishments. I’ll take my chances with being able to notice this. In any any case, in my situations, this is still far more useful than a piece of paper with a letter from someone who could also be made up saying they’re a good worker.

Of course, different methods may work better for different industries and people.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Don't you also 'referee check'? That is, check who the referees are on LinkedIn and FB - Does it match?

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

In my industry, I never do, I'm only hiring younger people and face to face is more imortant I feel.

Obviously a different playing field if you were hiring a manager for a mnc

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

All the more reason to check their digital footprint.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia