NSW Woy Woy Peninsula

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by teetotal, 6th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

What do people know/think of Woy Woy, Umina beach area ?
    How does it compare to Gosford and surrounds.
    Looking for a PPOR. Proximity to beach is enticing and that too at an affordable price point.
    Downside is the commute - timewise its similar or slightly longer to what I do currently within Sydney but distance is obviously more.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I won't be too much help on this topic but I can say my old Neighbour has a townhouse in Umina Beach. Great spot for a weekend getaway and his place isn't far from the shops there. It has gone up a lot though already.

Woy Woy - quick train ride to Sydney with minimal stops. My perception is that it will feel like a cheaper Sydney Suburb somewhat with the commuters (and people living there for that reason) more than other parts of the Central Coast which will be more beach/holiday like.
    Note, I don't know a lot on it, other posters are likely to be more helpful.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Umina - Mt Druitt by the sea. @datto - have you got any mates up there?

ashish1137 likes this.
  4. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Woy Woy,
    Lovely and quiet area.

Check out the 'flood zoning' there.
    I have vague recollection of more developments as a consequence?
    I hope this helps

teetotal likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No. Not at Umina. Further up at Gorokan, Lake Haven and at Caves Beach (actually he lives in his car just nearby but we haven't seen him in a while). All ex Druitt residents.

I have spent some time up the Central Coast and noticed properties are cheap. I also noticed people quickly turn ugly up there. Luckily I got out just in time lol.

ashish1137 and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Love Woy Woy and Umina. Would definitely buy something there. Mum used to live up there - it has everything. I think a lot of people's Mums and Dads used to live there or still do - it's changing.
    Wasn't it Penrith by the sea? Both places have changed a lot since that comment was made.

Last edited: 7th Sep, 2016
    Sam Yue and teetotal like this.
  7. teetotal

Yeah it's got mostly the retiree population or pensioners but it is changing and lot of people from Sydney are moving there too. Its noticeable during open homes what sort of crowd is purchasing.
    With regards to the comments about Druitt by the sea- i have read that too everywhere and it somewhat does have that feel to pockets of the area. But wouldn't one prefer to live by sea if the comparable choice is only Druitt or Penrith in west.

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. andrew_t

andrew_t Well-Known Member

My parents retired to Woy Woy from Sydney in April last year and they like it, they paid low 7's for 4 year old home which was exy but had everything thy needed. They still commute to Sydney regularly for appointments and friends but doesn't bother them. There is a bus stop on the street and train is 5 mins down the road and water not far. It's also easy access up the freeway as we have family in Taree.

In the 17 months they have been there I have seen a shift in more renovated properties, knock down rebuilds and grant flats it's starting to lift it's sad face. The last of the low social class just moved out of my parents street and it's coming alive.

Checkout https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-woy+woy-123155450

They started this at 720k which was freaking rdiculous and dropped to 680k, I don't think it's worth that. You do get a free ash tray full of butts, a bowl of food with mould and a drill press to meet you at the front door so maybe there's value in that

teetotal likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They've spared no expense on advertising - one external photo for a vacant house, must be in pristine condition.

ashish1137 and Frazz like this.
  10. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Only a few years ago littl3 places like that were somewhere between 240K-300K.
    Don't think htis area will go backwards at all. It's actually nicer/quiter than nearby areas imo.

11. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

What's not to like? Commute times by train similar to that if you lived in W Sydney where there is no beach. Coastal lifestyle. Affordable property. CG on property that follows the ripple effect out of Sydney.

M1 motorway access. Express trains only 4 stops to Central. Ferry to Palm Beach at Ettalong.

Mt Druitt by the sea and God's waiting room references are a bit tired now after 20 years - the areas are being gentrified as young renovators move in and a new generation make their mark.

Jacque, Frazz, WattleIdo and 2 others like this.
  12. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

House in central coast seems goes up more than Sydney in the past 12 months, beautiful beach, train to Sydney, drive 40 mins to Hornsby but house price is half of Hornsby. Best area is post code 2257 and 2260, almost all property in this two post code is very popular, sell or rent.

teetotal likes this.
  13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Wonderful place have on there which I bought for 265k....in 2010.

The place has changed a lot ...a lot of troublesome element has moved on...nice cafes and shopping centre got a face light

teetotal and samiam like this.
  14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I know someone who lives there and carries on about it non stop as if it were Bondi.

However at those type of prices for a little shack, no thanks, what type of rent....400 bucks ?

Even if your doing a knock down, will end up too costly, missed the boat long ago I reckon.

Luke T likes this.
  15. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I like CC but didn't have the guts to follow through. Picked up places in other places. The prices have definitely gone up. I was looking at Killarney Heights and Vale and surrounds... Gone up a lot. I guess I too missed the boat a long time ago.

16. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I've got one house in Umina that I bought in 2010 for $325k on a 800m2 block and a house in Woy Woy that I bought in 2012 for $280k on a 700m2 block.
    By far my best purchases to date!

17. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Central coast has done nicely the last couple of years thanks to Sydney ripple effect. Picked up a little 3 bedder in Bateau Bay for $290k around 4 years ago. Bit of cosmetic reno work done to it last year has brightened it up nicely and complimented that CG.

teetotal and larrylarry like this.
  18. teetotal

Ok. Update to all - we have purchased the PPOR in umina beach. :):cool:
    We didn't waste much time and after doing open homes for 3 weekends we had our 2 candidates and we finalised in 4th weekend.
    We could see the prices still moving up in our 7-8weeks of research on the area.
    Kariong, which is up next to the M1 Gosford exit is very hot currently. We saw prices there moving up from 500s to 600s within a period of 7-8weeks.

@dabbler and @larrylarry I believe the boat hasn't been missed as yet. Prices still need to come closer to Sydney median and as such there is still some room for growth.

Propertunity and WattleIdo like this.
  19. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Rents haven't gone up much I suspect. perhaps further room to grow but not much more I feel.

20. teetotal

Yeah nothing much from cash flow perspective but CG can be generated, depending on individual strategies.