ASX Shares WOW buyback... To participate or not?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Gockie, 16th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Saw there's a corporate action and WOW is looking to have a buyback. Is it a good idea to participate or not? I see this. Note the current price is $31.31. For anybody who bought for more than $4.79 then there's a possibility of claiming a capital loss (which could be good?) Screenshot_20190416-180637_OneDrive.jpg

willair likes this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am thinking I might participate ...

I just need to crunch the numbers. Can’t do it at the moment as I am on Easter holidays. Will make my final decision early next month.

3. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I would get rid of WOW or at least reduce I think there are many better options , I think profit margin are under pressure from old and new competition, and that there is not much growth in this company in fact it is closing stores while Aldi is opening them and Kaufmans is coming . wows range has become poor and checkout cues are wowfull.

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Interesting comment.

According to Sharesight, WOW’s total returns over the last:-

6 months: 16.36%
    12 months: 23.25%
    2 years: 13.57%​

Since I bought them over 15 years ago (in August 2003), they have returned a total return of 9.50% p.a.

Not too shabby :D.

Are you suggesting the good old days are over?

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

At least it's a business that simple and understandable and still has favourable long term prospects so it's a 'Yes '" from me,apart from the banks WOW was one of the best investments I purchased a long long time ago,and the entry price was just a few dollars above $4..79... imho...

6. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

The good days where well and truly over 6 years ago,According to me it has lost money since 2013 the dividend hasn't been enough to cover the cost of money, and the share price has fallen an average of $ 1.00 per share/p/a, a bit more than the illusionary dividend. Expensive shares with huge opportunity cost, I have had a 300 +% gain over my whole portfolio in that time According to morning star it had 0 total return between 2009 and 2016 lost the 60% gains between 11 and 14 and now it has only regained the 60% total returns it had in 2014. 60% gain since 2007 while the index has had 150% looks pretty shabby to me. You shouldn't be looking backwards anyway, looking forward is what counts but that doesn't indicate anything improving, but there a plenty of shares looking better.

Kevvy7, Anne11 and kierank like this.