would you purchase apartment in large block where you have less control than in a smaller block?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by justine77, 17th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

would you purchase apartment in large block where you have less control than in a smaller block?

in a smaller block eg 8 you might have more say with body corp than with a large block of say 40 apartments or 80 apartments or more

should this be a big factor in not buying in big blocks.

2. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

Has anyone learnt the hard way not to buy in bigger blocks though i find even in small blocks people complain about body corp so must be much worse in larger blocks where really noones say counts.

3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I think there isnt a straight-forward answer to this; it needs to be specific to each building, considering the location, the demographic of the Occupants and Owners etc. The key is to know whether there will be an active Committee. We have a situation with 30-unit whereby most Owners are interstate and couldnt give a hoot about BC matters. On the other hand, heard of a building with nearly 200 Owners but are close-knit and very active.

The ideal scenario is a small complex with friendly and active Committee. But if there is one hostile person, it can turn all BC matters into nightmare. But I suppose it'd be easier to manage a small number.

On the other hand, with bigger Complex, you have better chance of finding a few like-minded persons, and can join forces to influence the Committee's decisions. Or get yourself nominated as Chairperson! This requires more effort but if you already know some Owners, it's not that hard.

The fact of life is all the Capital Cities are building more and more apartments, and creating more Body Corp, big and small. We cant beat that so best to join them :)

4. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I think smaller is much harder and you have a greater probability of OC conflict problems. Particularly as many have no sinking fund and the owners chose them because they appear to be cheap. Generalisation but has been my experience.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Smaller is much harder. In a block of 6 units, if two owners don’t pay their levies (not unusual), you are in all sorts of trouble.

Larger blocks are usually better run as they can afford to pay for expertise.
    Marg

6. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Of course the upside of a smaller block is you have a higher proportional ownership and probably more likely to be able to develop ;) Still probably not worth it unless the block is in a good location and you own 25-50%

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

At the moment some (most?) states need 100% agreement to redevelop.

Another danger with a small block is that someone else may hold a majority share.

There is no clear cut reason that either smaller or larger blocks are better. The best answer is “it depends...”.
    Marg