Would you keep superannuation in high risk or move to mid/low risk option?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by wylie, 13th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Gee I love this forum. Different comments have made me rethink a few things and go back to options I'd almost discarded. And I am not taking advice (in case anyone is worried). I'm making my own decisions.

I'm hedging my bets, have just fixed some loans at 3.88% P&I for two years. These loans can no longer be IO without us refinancing, which we cannot do. So sitting funds in offset will not change the monthly repayment on our P&I loans unless we dump funds into the largest one and reduce the limit, which means we lose access to the funds forever.

We will place a chunk of funds into super before 30 June before the cap rules change. Because that means we won't be placing that chunk into offset accounts against our variable loans, our cashflow will be a problem.

So, I'll hold enough cash back and sit it in an offset against one of our variable loans, and we will gradually draw on this. It should get us through the next 18 months, by which time, we will know what is next for us.

Meanwhile, our super grows at double the rate we would save by offsetting our variable loans.

I'll keep an eye on super, and if I get too worried, we can always change some of it to a less volatile option within super.

Redwing, ellejay, Chris Au and 5 others like this.
  2. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

Such a great post! Thank you!

ellejay, Bran, Nodrog and 2 others like this.
  3. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

Another gem found in this post on the tax free pension on after tax contributions. Thank you @austing !

Nodrog, wylie, kierank and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

When I find it I'll drop it in the letter box. The thread is worth the time too.

wylie likes this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Don't get hung up on LICs etc as mentioned in your previous post, they're no silver bullet. Index funds or Super fund preset options will likely achieve the same goal.

The main thing is to get as much as you can into the most tax effective environment while you can. You can vary the investment option later to suit your needs / SANF.

Chris Au, Bunlee, sharon and 2 others like this.
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

A mere twig amongst these mighty branches, but this is what I'd consider doing (as I like simplicity).
    1. Move a percentage of funds to the next lowest risk level -if it's still possible to do that. Maybe 40-60%. I think, like me, you just wouldn't be comfortable in the lowest risk category. But if you are, you could move 10-20% of the funds to the very conservative level (if possible). If you can't split it up, then move it all to medium risk. Not advice.
    Having said that, I 'm leaving mine at high risk, head in sand.
    2. Sell a house now and pay off the debts.
    3. Seriously consider selling another one and kicking up your heels.

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Basic question: how do the returns on the super fund presets include franking benefits? I believe if you have shares in a SMSF then the franking benefits and share ownership is clear. I don't understand how it is incorporated in a non-SMSF using presets...

pippen likes this.
  8. wylie

Our debts have been manageable, but we've had a lot of extra expenses from kicking up our heels this past year.

We've had eight weeks in Europe and USA late last year, and we really do what we want when we want. We are not looking to change our lifestyle, which is very comfortable.

Whilst our cashflow has been an issue, we've always had the option of selling something, but I want to keep our asset base as large as we can to allow growth from that larger base.

So, I'm probably misleading unintentionally with my poor cashflow comment.

Compared to others here we also are small twigs.

9. Jaik2012

Jaik2012 Well-Known Member

I'm of the feeling that there's one waiting to happen soon simply going by the previous crashes of each decade since the 80s.

late 80s - Famous Black Monday
    late 90s - Asian Financial Crisis
    late 2000s - GFC; the one which me & most of us here have experienced first hand
    late 2010s - ??

10. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

I have the answer! It will happen soon as the salesforce tower is built.

Episode 656: Bubblelicious

:D

PS. Please do not take the above comment seriously. Other than that, this has been a great thread and good questions beget good answers.

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If truly undecided, have an each-way bet.

Transfer half to a more conservative option.
    Marg

Anne11 and wylie like this.
  12. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Have a look at the quality of the shares you hold. Are they good income-producing assets that will produce good income in a crash? Are these assets ones that you would "comfortably" continue buying even as the market corrects/crashes? What is the quality of the underlying assets?

With the market at highs it might be an opportunity to rebalance your share investments ( that will ultimately depend on what you are holding though ). That could include deciding what to do with the rest of your super in terms of how you have it invested.

I also highly recommend reading the Thornhill book and getting to his course if you can. It gives you a sound mindset around which you can base your long-term investing. I'm also a subscriber to the bogglehead low-fee approach as it just makes sense.

Anne11 and Bunlee like this.
  13. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

@wylie have you compared asset growth and considered future growth of your assets? You mentioned you could sell your property to pay off all debt, if your plan was to sell at a future date anyhow, would it make sense to sell it now, is that house at a peak in time, are the returns considered to flatten out over the next few years or even decline etc?
    You will have to consider all taxes etc etc first, but if your house growth and rent combined is generating say 3% clear after all taxes, you would benefit by paying down debt at 3.8% debt or what ever your debt rate is. If your super/shares are generating or you believe will generate much more then consider this option as well.

For example say your house is worth 1 million, say after all taxes it gains 3% return in growth and rents combined. That's 30k.
    Say you wanted to keep it 5 years before selling, compound that 3% return and you will have made $159,274. Do you think that house will make another 159k in 5 years time? Otherwise you could sell it and pay off the higher debt amount which is a better move and also safer.

I'd go see your accountant and run some figures through before you do anything.

14. wylie

Thanks @Barney. We have been working through sorting out our finances with our accountant. I've been tied up with a brother and this current injection of funds is my half of a house we have sold which is the final tie between us. I'd trust this brother with my life, but we don't need to be tied financially so this is a good reason to have sold this house.

I did run the numbers on keeping it though. Best use for our share is to put it off loans or into super for various reasons that are too particular to our situation to detail here.

I've always been a property person, don't care much for shares except those looked after by an expert (within the super find).

I always try to find a way to NOT sell a house. I've regretted every house sale, but each time there has been a good reason and it has allowed us to move forward and invest in a better house, or improve our own house (with no capital gain on improvements done here).

I run figures for all possible permutations. It does hubby's head in, but I enjoy it, especially as the figures sometimes tell me that what my heart wants (hold that house, don't sell) doesn't make sense when my head takes a good long look at the figures. ;)

Barny likes this.
  15. wylie

Thanks @wombat777 for the thoughts. I really have no choice over the quality of shares apart from being able to nominate a different option within super. Right now we are half "aggressive" and half "less aggressive" but more aggressive than the default option.

We can drill down further and choose "international shares" or "Australian shares" but I would likely pick the wrong one at the wrong time so I let the experts look after it (but we choose our level of risk).

I'll do some homework on bogglehead though.

16. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Have a look at the entry / exit costs for the investment choices within your super. Also broadly look at the fees charged.

Use that as one critical consideration for selecting a super provider. For example a 1% versus a 2% fee can really eat into your returns over time.

The asic super calculator is a good start.

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-and-resources/calculators-and-apps/superannuation-calculator

wylie likes this.
  17. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

201x

have a guess what will hit us in the next 6 months LOL

Jaik2012 likes this.
  18. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Great query! Would love to know the answer as well.......... any takers?!

19. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@wylie, in my earlier post, I did mention that we "Withdraw minimum of 4% of Super balance each year as tax-free income to fund living expenses and lifestyle (going up to 5% in 3/4 years time - 25% pay rise)".

I forgot to mention that one can do this as an annual once off payment, say in early July.

So, if a couple have the cap of $1.6M each in Pension phase, then they can pay themselves a pension $128,000 (the minimum 4%) as a once-off payment, deposit this in an Offset and live off these funds over the year.

In this way, their money is effectively earning 4%+ after tax (whatever their loan interest rate is) instead of say 1.5% after tax (whatever the cash rate is in their Super).

An after-tax saving of up to $3,200pa or over $61pw for doing nothing.

So many way to make money and save money :).

Anne11, Heinz57, Marg4000 and 2 others like this.
  20. Jaik2012

Jaik2012 Well-Known Member

I feel this is not the appropriate thread to discuss such things. Nevertheless, last one from me on this topic. Even Mr. Moneymoustache feels that a recession is lurking around the corner.

Great News: There’s Another Recession Coming

Anne11 likes this.