Health & Family Would you care/adopt grandchild again?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Stoffo, 16th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

So pleased you were able to act before possibly more serious damage was done.

In the situation where the young mum is unable to care for her child, custody within the family is probably the best outcome.

The baby will be able to get to know her mum and e tended family while being protected and cared for safely.

Possibly the best of both worlds for her (and you)!

And don't beat yourself up about not being more vigilant - you had no inkling that the mum would act like that. And big congrats for taking prompt action.
    Marg

Tom Rivera and EN710 like this.
  2. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

@Stoffo You have done / are doing an amazing job; much better than I'm sure I would have done in a similar situation. Major life kudos to you.

Stoffo likes this.
  3. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I second this! Such good news that bubs is OK as well! ;)

4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Stoffo you have to step up and take control because your step daughter is not able to and sounds like she needs help herself.

It’s difficult to be the only responsible person in a situation but that baby needs you

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Cheers for the reminder :rolleyes:
    She's twice the size now compared to when she came home :eek:
    From all I have read, asked and pretended to understand, it is now a slippery slope :oops:
    As THIS is the best time :D
    The remainder is ALL downhill o_O
    (NOT half a proud grandparent/stand in ;) )

Marg4000, Kassy and Kesse like this.
  6. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Enjoy it @Stoffo! They become toddlers too fast :D

Stoffo likes this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

And next thing they're gone or Pregnant :eek:
    I get LOTS of cuddles (in the Grandpa recliner :cool: )

Attached Files:

Gockie, Marg4000, Kassy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

This is the stage that you know where they are - where you left them. Once she's mobile it will become way trickier but the added bonus is their personality begins to shine and she'll have you wrapped around her little finger even more :p

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

For those that are following (or find they're in a similar predicament)
    I/we ran out of patience o_O
    Last sunday we decided to email our lawyer and go for full parental responsibility (custody)
    The daughter did come home sunday night, but ignored us and hid in her room, this was only the 6th night at home THIS YEAR :eek:
    The next day i asked her to make 5 min to talk to her mother before she left for work, she didnt, and ended up yelling at me:rolleyes:
    I have been messaging Family & Community Services regularly since December and had no help.
    So I've finally suggested the daughter start looking for other accommodations :p
    Big stress relief now she is gone :cool:
    We waited and tried to bring them together for over 5 months, only NOW do we find out thru legal advice we should have started our application long ago.
    Now we are looking at up to another 5 months and a legal bill of $60k if the other grandparents dont object/also apply :confused: 20180209_181121.jpg
    So our investment journey is on hold for 5-15 years :(
    But, we are both looking forward to giving our all for SMILES :)
    Still tiny today..... (but 3x bigger than when she came home)

Cheers to all the support.
    I stand by an earlier comment, I would do it all again in a heartbeat, even all the stinky nappies (am now better educated too)

Biz, Mel Morgan, hobo and 8 others like this.
  10. serendip

serendip Well-Known Member

Congrats & kudos to you for stepping up. I have a couple of friends who foster little ones short term & another couple who work in various aspects of child services. From what they've said & you've described I'd be very surprised if you weren't successful in your quest for long term care. Kinship care is always preferred & you've certainly shown you will do what it takes to look after her.

Re being in your 40s....if it helps, I was only a few years younger than you when I had my 1 & only. Do I get tired, you bet, do I ever regret it, oh no :)

Congrats again :)

Stoffo likes this.
  11. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Your investment journey for the next 5-15 years will not be on hold, it will be the lovely little person you are loving and bringing up. She is a beautiful little girl. Well worth the investment! Good on you for standing up! I hope you get full custody as smoothly as possible ;)

Stoffo and Gockie like this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You're investing in some human real estate - the yield and growth will amaze you.

Well done @Stoffo and wife.

13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Good decision @Stoffo . Go for full legal custody.

This little one is so lucky to have you in her life taking such good care of her.
    Marg

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Thanks all
    The other half "BEC" has had 4 practice runs at parenting, and it is new to me, Bec is and continues to be the backbone of everything :)
    Yes, for over 26 years now (youngest 9yo)and we are doing it all again.
    Bec deserves a medal :D
    (A holiday to Italy is her wish )

Marg4000 and Kassy like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You did your best to bring them together, and it hasn't worked. You cannot go back and at least now you go forward knowing you really tried.

When you say five nights "at home" this year, do you mean she stays elsewhere? Or is out until late and not at home for the evenings?

This little girl is very lucky to have you and I'll also add that we've just come home from visiting 54 and 51 year old parents of two small children (four and six). Fantastic parents, young at heart, lovely children. You are not too old to start again.

Good luck. I hope things go smoothly. I suspect you will face many emotional hurdles, but all power to you for what you are taking on. What a lucky child. :)

16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Cheers
    Yes @wylie a total of 6 nights sleeping at home !
    Like she insisted on having "time" with baby on Christmas day, but came home late and then only spent 10 min with her........
    Cheers

17. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Some things are simply more important. @Stoffo it's clear you've got your priorities in the right order.

18. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It has been a very trying year to date :oops:
    Am after the advice of the PC pool of knowledge again ;)
    After getting all our ducks in a row to go for legal custody, the daddy came out of the woodwork mid Feb.
    So over the past few months he has done some parenting courses and managed to return drug free tests, back living at home with his parents even though they have AVO's against each other since late last year (he is 21).
    We feel that it is largely driven by his parents as everytime he hits a milestone its a new tv/ensuite/car/money:confused:
    So by April we were in FACS mediation, the step daughter sold us up the river by giving daddy 50% custody, we were gobsmacked :eek::mad: but ended up letting it go because everyone agreed "not to proceed any further legally", so we have every second week.
    10 days later we get legal notification that he now wants 100% custody o_O
    He says "I miss her so much", yet he almost never shows for pick up/drop off .......
    We fear it is only a matter of time before he falls off the wagon or fights with his parents again :(

We have been offered to still get access every second weekend , do we accept the red pill ? Or take the blue pill and see how much money we can throw into the rabbit hole ?
    Thanks in advance

19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The smiles have been keeping us going ;) 20180507_080733.jpg

Tom Rivera, Kassy and Gockie like this.
  20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Oh goodness. I have no advice, just want to say it must be so hard for you. Thanks for doing your best. The dad will probably win full custody if he stays clean even though it mightn't be for the best for the girl. :(
    Poor girl. :(

Stoffo likes this.