Would you buy this property? v. Deceased estate

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by mini2, 8th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Definitely would. If I could set a tag for these on real-estate.com.au I would. Anything to turn away other buyers

2. catsteve

catsteve Active Member

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

oh yeah, the last photo has a dark stain.....I think you might be spot on

4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I dont think its this house,

wasnt he a semi rich kid that ended up shooting his whole family???

dont think the familyt was undiscovered for 8 yrs

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We weren't suggesting this was that house. Just talking about the Gonzales case which was high profile and may have changed the rules about divulging that the house being sold was the scene of a crime.

6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

oh ok,
    yeah I think his case was the one that triggered it, I believe an asian family purchased it unknowningly

and I think they may have pulled out with a refund after learning

7. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Yes, if the price is good buy the house. As long as there are no bodies stored in the attic or under the floorboards, you can get the smell out. It looks like it would need a complete refurb anyway, which might remove some of the 'negative' energy. imho, violent deaths in a house are much different to natural deaths (as sad as they may be). It's the violent deaths that leave an 'energy' or gets a spirit attached to a house.

Poor lady. It's terrible that no one--not a neighbour or a friend--noticed her missing. Poor love.

Ozzie in Texas and Beanie Girl like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We just heard tonight that a body was found in our local shopping mall charity bin. So sad and such a waste of a life.

BigKahuna likes this.
  9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The bath and loo are outside right up agaist the fence. OK for summer ...
    I remember when she was found -the Auburn lady, too. Must happen a lot. Not necessarily a bad way to go - it's the 8 years that is so shocking.

Ozzie in Texas likes this.
  10. dboy_tomato

dboy_tomato Well-Known Member

From what i understand, 8 years of a persons remains will pretty much guarantee the smell will be retained in the building.

Can you demolish it? Is the property heritage listed? If you can knock it down then that's a big tick.

Also, if the property is not demolished then I think the agents (whether you are leasing it or selling it) will need to disclose that a dead body was in the property for 8 years.

From my personal opinion, I wouldn't touch it if it's my PPOR but IP is ok if the price is right.

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Im not going to ask why you know this !!!! :) :):)

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

True - our neighbour topped himself in the rear yard. No need for a disclosure when it sold.

13. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Surely paint with plenty of VOC should mask the smell? If I ended up getting it I'm sure I'll smoke it with incense.

BigKahuna likes this.
  14. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Man, that house needs major repairs, including an extension to build an indoor bathroom. If I could get it at a reasonable price......why not.

I attended an auction years ago in Glebe. The house was in similar condition.....and on the day of auction, there were many others with the same goal. There were so many bidders that price quickly ran well beyond my comfort zone.

BigKahuna likes this.
  15. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Due to the fact that there was no embalming, was not buried and was not under water, a human body can decompose up to 8 times faster in open air. Oxygen is a key factor in decomposition speed. It is possible that all that was left after 8 years was a skeleton or not much more than a skeleton. I'd imagine that the smell would have long subsided especially if there was any airflow in the house. Just my opinion.

16. JessicaP

JessicaP Well-Known Member

Actually, the body was probably mostly liquid by the time they found it. Would have sunk into any porous material and would be extremely difficult to get out. If that dark stain is what's left of the body, no amount of sanding and staining would get rid of it. Ripping the floors up and starting again might work. I saw a doco on this (about a similar situation in the U.S.).

Has anyone been in the house?

17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

:oops: that's horrible @wylie this is reason why I try to not watch or read the news.

Re house - yes will buy BMV if I have the moolah to revamp all of it

18. dboy_tomato

Haha, I watched a documentary on a corpses farm in the Blue Mountains. *Yes, a human corpses farm!!*

They *place* the corpses under different conditions across the farm (indoor, outdoor, buried, under water and etc) and analyse the decomposition of each body....

I really don't know why I watched it.

19. dboy_tomato

:eek::eek::eek:

I really don't want to be the person cleaning this up...or even attempting to take the floors up.

20. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

In a physical sense, it's no different to an animal dying in a house--same organic decomposition. You can always get a stick of white sage and smoke the house if you're concerned.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia