Would you buy property with easements??

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by SydneyInvestor, 16th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Hey All,

Need your advise on buying a property with easements.

I am looking at a property which has easement on the left side of the property. (picture attached)
    What i understand is that this makes the developers highly uninterested in the property as they can not develop townhouses ro apartment buildings on such land.
    Can someone please guide, what do you do with such properties.

I believe, with the goal of capital gain or self development, we expect someone would develop a building on these older homes in future when population rises.
    With such thing in mind, it is not a good idea to buy such property. But any other line of thinking here please...

Thanks
    Nish

2. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Hey @Nish . Picture has dropped off. Can you reattach?

I've got a house next to an easement. Sadly, I know nothing of the rules on developing on, under or next to an easement. *clicks Watch Thread*

3. SydneyInvestor

Hi @Zoolander , I have reattached the picture.
    As per the rules, nothing can be build on the area which has an easement. So, if your property is next to easement, it might not be a big problem. This property has easement in its boundary. that is the issue. Don't caught me on my words though as I have also learnt about it today :)

Attached Files:

Zoolander likes this.
  4. Savy mum

Savy mum Well-Known Member

Normally you cant build on an easement or so many metres from one. The block should be cheaper than the others in the street.

Are you able to incorporate that part of the land into the front/backyard if you were going to build a few dwellings on the block. If not, I think it would be hard to utilize the whole block. You may have to choose a different block. Depending what you want to build on it.

Where I live, easements are very common but they normally run either across the back or across the front of the block so it doesnt effect us that much.

SydneyInvestor likes this.
  5. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Might just want to flick your plans to a town planner and talk plans.
    Then make an offer if it stacks up.
    Easements are not necessarily deal breakers.
    (Not that I've done any development yet, but I have bough land with easements and a good mate is a town planner...)

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What is the easement for? Sometimes it's beneficial to have proximity to an easement ie drainage if it is a hard to drain block. You may still have to pay to access the service.

Whereas you might steer clear of a power line/electricity easement.

7. rattler

rattler Active Member

On another note, Do we need an approval to put a gazebo over the easement that runs through the backyard ? Council website does say that approval is not required for such work (but doesnt mention easements)

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@rattler what is the purpose of the easement eg: drainage, electrical, overland flow, the long paddock etc?

The use will determine how you can use the land above.

9. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Take a look at your title to see what the easement is for. Chances are you don't need approval, but if someone needs access to dig up a pipe/cable on your easement, then don't expect them to pay for any damage to your gazebo.

bob shovel and SydneyInvestor like this.
  10. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Along the rear boundary, no problems.

SydneyInvestor and Jamie Moore like this.
  11. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Depending on the easement and the rules you might be able to put the driveway along there as that is cheap to replace IF they need to rip it up.

I bought a place recently and it has an easement, the easement itself is about 2M for a manhole and I can work it into my 'driveway' so it isn't really an issue.

12. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I would consult a surveyor for accurate advice on what you can and cant do with the land inclusive of easements. The zoning will determine what you can out on there.

@Aaron Sice is it true WA will be scraping the zoning rules or is that a nationwide thing?

SydneyInvestor, Sackie and Aaron Sice like this.
  13. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

There's a review of DC2.2 underway at the minute but that's all really. Liveable Neighbourhoods is still in the air after 4 years.

The R Codes are up for review again but I haven't seen anything thru the HIA EP&D for comment yet.

Short answer is 'no'. o_O

14. Aaron Sice

Interesting point with stratas and easements in WA.

An exclusive portion of a build strata cannot include an easment. So if you are building a townhouse / villa / apartment over the easement, you must have the easement modified to suit- and go around -the strata title - even though you may comply with sewer/drainage clearance requirements.

However, Land only strata can incorporate an easement; any improvements simply have to demonstrate minimum clearances / asset protection.

Odd, huh?

SydneyInvestor and LifesGood like this.
  15. SydneyInvestor

Thanks all.
    That means the possibility of selling it to a developer in future is bleak.....Its a drainage easement

16. Gavin Ng

Gavin Ng Well-Known Member

Not necessarily....

Get the title and 88b to establish who the easement benefits. It is most likely an inter-allotment drainage easement going by the very small plan you have shown and therefore private easement benefiting uphill properties. If it is a council drainage easement, there will most probably be an overland flow associated with it making it flood prone lot, it's hard to tell because the plan you have shown is very small but if I was a gambling man I would say it's a private inter-allotment drainage easement.

Site can still be developed so long as the function of the easement is still maintained. Easement could also be extinguished in some cases as the beneficiary lots may no longer need it, or the easement can be redirected depending on slope and fall of the land. If it;s a council drainage easement, building envalope may be severly comprimised due to flooding.

Anything can be sold if the price is right.

Unfortunately you won't get the answers here, you'll need a professional.

17. Aaron Sice

Surely a Deposited Plan of the subdivision would detail what easement benefit what lots and where?

18. Gavin Ng

Gavin Ng Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not in NSW. The DP will show the location of the easement, the title search will show in writing the encumbrance exists on title, but you will need the 88b to tell you which lots are burdened/benefited and the terms of the encumbrance. My expereince in NSW anyway. Every state has their own conveyancing act so might be different.

19. Aaron Sice

Cheers for clarifying that!

Gavin Ng likes this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.