Would you buy a house without a bathtub?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by 212, 9th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 212

212 Guest

Hi Everyone,

We are planning to renovate our PPOR bathroom very soon. Our house is a 3/1/1. We are thinking of removing the bath tub, and utilizing the space by adding a 2nd toilet and extending the shower.

Down the track (4-5 years) we are planning to buy another PPOR and keep this one as investment. Thinking about renting/selling. Will it affect potential tenants / buyers if a house had no bath?

I Hope you can help me with your answers.

2. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

I did with my 1st house- eminently impractical when you have kids. Would not do it again.

3. joel

joel Well-Known Member

That depends on what type of tenants you are trying to attract. If your IP will be in a trendy café childless hipster style suburb then I don't think a bathtub is that important. Families usually look for bigger homes on bigger blocks in family friendly areas, if this is where your IP is, then maybe keep the tub.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I would buy a house without a bath, but with the aim of adding one if the bathroom was old.
    I wouldn't remove a bath.

5. Dangsta

Dangsta Member

I would prefer a second toilet than a bathtub. It will attract better rent too.
    a bathtub may encourage tenants to use more water in my opinion.

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

If you're hoping to attract families, keep the bath. No way I would live in a bath-free house with smaller kids.

Gingin likes this.
  7. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

Why don't you move the shower inside the bathtub and use the shower space for a 2nd toilet.

Rugrat and Scott No Mates like this.
  8. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

Agreed if it doesn't exist it should be easily added in. I almost bought a 6 bedroom house with 1 bathroom and no bath one time, and not a lot of room for one either. What kind of large family would put up with that? and who was the mad dog that came up with that design. A bath completes a home in my opinion for most people, so its worth having and being part of your criteria.

9. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

First thing I did with the PPOR was remove the bath when I gutted and renovated the bathroom. Replaced a small bath and tiny enclosed shower with a single huge panel of glass that is now the shower. Absolutely love it. Disclosure: no kids in the house except me. If/when I sell the house down the track I will definately put a small bath back in as it's four bedrooms which tend to target families. Either that or I will discount the sales price to include the purchaser doing a minor reno to add a bath back into the main bathroom.

In your case since you are already thinking 4-5 years to either sell/rent I would recommend keeping the bath to avoid limiting the number of people interested in the place.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@R.B. - @SouthBoy makes a good point. At least you'll have two showers even if the main s over the bath it is better than not having a bath at all.

11. 212

212 Guest

@SouthBoy , I like the idea, the kids love the tub, and I am in a family friendly suburb with schools nearby. and I like to rent to families. I think I will need to think of different options to add a toilet without removing the bath.

12. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

I think the answer lies in who you are trying to attract as a tenant.

I have done exactly this in a 3/1/1 and it worked out well. I was thinking our tenant would likely be a childless couple or just two flatmates but it turned out to be recently-separated professional lady with kids all left home. She loves it. Its in a price range she can afford, freshly renovated, and it’s a handy location not too far from city centre.

If you do this I recommend that you at least have an updated kitchen suited to the professional market, plus good security, as that will have much appeal to the person who rents a bath-less trendy cottage.

larrylarry likes this.
  13. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

Family of 4, two kids around 10. First thing I did in PPOR was remove crappy bath/shower combo and put in a nice new shower. Kids havn't used a bath for at least 5 years. Personally unless you have kids under about 4yrs old I don't see the point of baths. Wastes a ton of water and who in their right mind wants to sit in their own dirty water?

14. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

It wouldn't bother me at all.. But I am not a bath person, as I don't like the idea of lounging around soaking in my own filth..So if I do have a bath rinse in the shower afterwards. I would assume the majority of people do like to have a bath though. So it could be a deal breaker.. Depending on your target market. I would assume those wanting a three bedder would have small humans and would like a bath.

15. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Agree with the consensus, if you want to target a family with young children then keep the bath. If you're targeting any other demographic then remove the bath and add a toilet.

16. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

I personally hate bath tubs. I hate cleaning them and think that ultimately, they are just end up being dust collectors.

My children only used the bath tub until they were old enough to stand. We had a spa bath tub and that wasn't even enough to entice them to take baths when they were older.

I vote for no more bath tubs.......anywhere. Abolish all bath tubs. Yuck. :)

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What exactly are you people doing before a bath?