Would you buy a house on 450m if it came with plans/permits?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Otie, 18th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I had been priced out of a suburb recently, but one has popped up for sale within my budget with plans and permits to build 2x double townhouses.
    Usually I wouldn't have been interested in anything less than 600m, but this seems to appeal a little more since I know they can do this on it. Its also on a main road which I think is a benefit as it is a busy road near infrastructure (hospital/shopping centre etc) thinking possible re-zone one day?
    Im looking long term anyway, but would be nice to have options to dev in a few years if I could keep renewing the plans.
    Is it crazy to buy something on such a small block or is it ok if they can fit two tH on it?
    Its priced 100-125k cheaper than something on a 600m block.
    Its in Melb

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If that is what you would have tried to do on a larger block then why not?

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Just be aware that if you do not develop within the time frame if the existing permits then approval may not necessarily be granted in the future. Sometimes the rules change.
    Marg

Stoffo and Westminster like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is important. I had a call the other day from an agent wanting to know what we are doing with our block. He said he knows of an approval that was allowed to lapse and the same approval conditions apparently are no longer able to be obtained.

JacM and Marg4000 like this.
  5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Townhouses on a main road...? Are you sure its an advantage?

6. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

From what I have heard always take longer to rent or sell if on a main road. A road that is out of earshot of traffic noise would be a better choice but also close to the "action" but not to close :)

highlighter likes this.
  7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Hmm I think will follow my gut and abandon this one. Not worth the worry, if I were to develop it wouldn't be for at least ten years anyway. Back to the next suburb out where I can afford a house on a full sized block

8. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

One of the brokers mentioned the other day that financing is problematic if there is a DA in place because the lender may decide it's a commercial deal (higher interest rare) rather than resi.

Something else to remember is that the vendor may have gotten the permits and then realized the build would not be profitable.

9. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Well I can't see it being profitable in the market today, would have only been worthwhile when the land value goes up more

10. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

450sqm is actually not small. it is actually quite large..ppl subdivide 600sqm into 3 TH or if in higher zones maybe even 5-6.

Main road is not really an issue but also depends where it is . if you think cotham road with the trams and noise in Kew, Whitehorse road (box hill, mont albert)

That auction I went to in albert st, preston (have more than a 100 ppl rock up in auction) which is on a main road where trucks come and go.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  11. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

A friend subdivided a 200m2 block in the old part of Epping and put up two 2 bed townhouses! Currently renting at 310 each.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.