Education & Work Would you apply for a job if your ex-nemesis worked there?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by mouseburger, 6th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mouseburger

mouseburger Well-Known Member

Applied for a promotion and discovered that a former boss (who works in a different organisation) does liaison work with the area I applied for. This person is one of those managers who gets ahead by taking credit for his staff's work while blaming them for his mistakes. I was forced out of my job after he tried to throw me under the bus a few times because I refused to do something that would've gotten me banned from the industry. If I got this job, that might mean having to work with him again, and trying out the same crap.

I know you can't let one person stop you from pursuing your career, but I'm curious to know if others have been in this situation, and if so, how did you decide if it was worth going for or not?

2. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I would withdraw my application, and tell them why.
    This person is one of those managers who gets ahead by taking credit for his staff's work while blaming them for his mistakes. I was forced out of my job after he tried to throw me under the bus a few times because I refused to do something that would've gotten me banned from the industry. If I got this job, that might mean having to work with him again, and trying out the same crap.

3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Nemesis? What are you Spider man?

4. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Shhhh

mouseburger and Bran like this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

:)

You have obviously not been bullied at work. At one point in one job, I concurrently had 3 nemeses. These were people who were actively working against me professionally, undermining my ability to do my work and preventing me from progressing in the organisation. By the time I left, 2 had gone ;)

I have no adivce for you @mouseburger. I probably wouldn't do it because it is not in my nature to try to outmanoeuvre dodgy people. I rather work with people who are blunt/honest and ethical, so I always know where I stand. Some things for you to consider if it is worth it:
    1) how much additional money will you earn?
    2) what additional opportunities will you have to develop yourself/progress?
    3) what actions can you take to protect yourself if you have to work with this person?

What support base will you have in the new position vs what support base they have already built up. I have seen senior staff go head to head in the organisation where I was bullied. The one who was "right" did not have the support base and got sidelined. The one who was "wrong" had the support base and got promoted. I actually worked for that person at one point prior to that. Complete nutcase.

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I had minions but never a nemesis.

7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Minions would be a lot more fun! :D

8. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Oooh, I wouldn't mind a minion or two.

9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Ex nemasis lol

I can't wait to use this in normal conversation

10. PrG

PrG Active Member

Mouseburger, that sucks. If I had a choice I would not work with my nemesis. If they were my ex-nemesis, that's a different matter-'ex' being the operative word. But sometimes, if it's the only job, on offer we don't have choices. Just keep a safe distance from him--if you can. Good luck.

11. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

No and even refused a contract close to home because of it. Not worth the trouble.

SeafordSunshine and JenW like this.
  12. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

100% no. Not in a pink fit. Life is too short to knowingly subject yourself to that kind of cr@p.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  13. mouseburger

mouseburger Well-Known Member

Yes, I do sometimes refer to him as the ex-nemesis in actual conversation (aside from other choice descriptors) and coincidentally I may be acquiring a few minions soon :)

Ha! Same thing happened with my former boss - it was a way of eliminating competent peers so that executives wouldn't find out how unqualified he was for his job. Thanks for the questions and feedback btw, it's food for thought. Good to have a sounding board to check I'm being rational about this and not letting previous experience cloud my judgement.

14. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

I have a nemesis at work but not in my workplace. He works in the same complex. Used to sit on our employees cars and clip his fingernails, always seems to get the last cream bun at the bakery, invests in shares and parks like a Muppet. Just thinking about him is getting me angry. As for your post I have no input apart from I hate my nemesis.

JenW likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.