Would you AirBnB your IP ?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by teetotal, 1st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Would you consider to AirBnB your IP ?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    73.2%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. I don't know what is AirBnB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

An interesting point to note, that I didn't see anyone mention (or maybe I've missed it……), is whether or not anyone's building/landlord insurance is effected by using airbnb etc (or if they've even considered it/looked into it).

We had issues about 12 months ago in the townhouse I lived in (OO). There are only 5 townhouses on the block (and each has a 2-car garage), so the visitors' parking spaces didn't get used often. Then, all of a sudden, there were different cars parked in one of the spots on a regular, ongoing basis, heading in and out of the neighbours place (using their back gate), and people wheeling suitcases up the driveway etc. A little investigation showed that the neighbours (who were also OO), were using airbnb to rent out their extra bedroom.

When checking with the body corporate if this was 'allowable' (we decided to ask, as we were getting annoyed at the constant car and foot traffic that was now in our little block of townhouses), it was determined that the insurance policy for the complex does not cover short term leasing (such as that which airbnd falls under), and the neighbours were contacted about ceasing renting their spare room out.

Has anyone else had this, or even thought about whether or not it may effect them?

2. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

3. Matthew Savage

Matthew Savage Well-Known Member

Bodies corporate are battling AirBnB like crazy at the moment. Think of the impact on a large managed Gold Coast high-rise for example, where owners are letting strangers into the property and facilities and cutting the building management out of the loop (both for control and revenue).

QLD law prohibits the body corporate from restricting 'lawful use' of an owner's lot (i.e. you can't prevent people from operating a small business from home, you can't prevent people from renting out their units on a normal tenancy, you can't restrict pied-à-terre use).

So the question is about whether the local council/planning authority permits short-term tenancies in those buildings. Most Gold Coast high-rises are permitted to do this, because they are often designed for that purpose (as hotels). In a small unit block - the use may not be permitted. If short-term accommodation use is not permitted by Council, then it's not 'lawful use' and the body corporate can regulate it through a by-law.

That's my understanding of how this is approached at the moment - if you google you will find lots of articles about it.

KayTea likes this.
  4. rambotrader

rambotrader Well-Known Member

Landlords with the dollar signs in their eyes need a reality check. We had one of these horror places next door to us for many years. What became clear was:

1. you get some groups who will use your place as a venue and trash it: bucks, hens, parties. This will cost you heaps.
    2. your rentals will be inconsistent and you will be lucky to make the same money as through long term rentals.
    3. you will alienate your neighbours and make their lives miserable as their ability to live in their own home is marginalised or totally destroyed. It takes a certain sort of scumbag to do that and we had such an owner next door to us.

By all means have a go but read the above. In the end you'll be sorry and short term rates will drop as the market is saturated by landlords chasing the dollars rather than confronting the realities. Good luck.

5. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member