..Would This Worry You..

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by willair, 20th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

@monalisa I just went to look up the article and boy my memory is bad.

It was two daughters
    He bathed them and dressed them up in white
    He killed them in the self contained unit at the back where the mother was in the main building.

Killer dad Charles Mihayo dressed up, filmed daughters before murdering them, court told

I am a local and I cant even remember that well, would I mention it if I attended the auction for the property. No as I have a vested interest in all properties around me obtaining a good price.

willair likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Now you are being silly... :p

Tim86 and willair like this.
  3. wylie

I've never had anyone ask me about a house that someone vomited in. Murder or suicide do have a stigma attached to them, whether you care to admit it or not.

@willair clearly has asked for a reason. It would be good to answer "would you buy or not?" and leave it at that without trying to put people down who have a different opinion. Just sayin..

Joynz and willair like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Go for it...if not for the daughter add it to your own.

Neighbours come and go so memories of the incident will fade.

willair likes this.
  5. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I would more than happily buy one as a PPOR. Could save heaps off purchase price.
    Pretty sure there's no requirement to notify on sale either.

willair likes this.
  6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I saw a house where the old guy died in it. You could see the stained patch on the floorboards where the decomposing bodily oils had soaked in.

It sold the night before auction for a massive price. It needed a massive reno and it sold for the same price as a similar property on the street that had already had a reno done to it. And they couldnt just knock it down either because it was protected.

Go figure.

willair likes this.
  7. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

There are 20m people in Australia. ..all of them are going to die somewhere ...either in a building or outside a building ...so it is going to be pretty hard to avoid

Stoffo and willair like this.
  8. wylie

But that is not the question @willair has asked. Nobody is saying "a house that someone died in" which is fairly common, especially in an older area. It is a suicide. Different.

willair and Marg4000 like this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I dont see any difference between a death and suicide, given how common suicide is becoming.........

Murder would be a different I suppose. Would you pay more for a house because someone famous used to live there, such as a sporting hero when he or she was a child.

willair likes this.
  10. wylie

I wouldn't.

willair likes this.
  11. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Property is long term. But...what if the market did well / exceeded expectations, and the OP wanted to sell the property to realise the gains over the next few years? What if life circumstances changed over the next few years, and the OP wanted to sell the property to e.g. fund a PPOR - wouldn't it still be an issue?

samiam and willair like this.
  12. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Such a strange circumstance as far as the "material fact" of disclosure. I have never been asked by a real estate whether anyone has died in the house before listing for sale. People die in houses everyday, some in way more horrific circumstances than suicide or murder. Where do you draw the line?

willair and WattleIdo like this.
  13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I see wylis's point for sure. Wouldn't touch the place that Big Will mentioned, sorry.
    The suicide is unpleasant but I would consider the townhouse still -- at least go and look - because it was in her own car and in the garage. At least it was tidy.
    I found out a woman committed suicide in the bathroom of a place I was renting after I'd been there a few years and stayed several more years. It was very affordable! She hung herself over the bath (not very high) and the old neighbours actually suspect that her husband did it.
    I was having nightmares before I found out. Then when I heard that, I was able to process it and not allow someone else's negativity and recrimination affect my own well-being. It was a pathetic thing for her to do. Same with the garage. But don't let it affect your life and your opportunities and your spirituality.
    When you go there, if you feel good, go for it. If not, and be honest with yourself, then don't proceed. I'd have to air and paint and make the garage nice in some way though.
    Seems to me there'd be plenty of blokes who it wouldn't affect at all if they were living there so you'd still have a pool of renters.

willair and samiam like this.
  14. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We bought a deceased estate and when we were in there renovating at night I got a bit spooked and often wondered if the old man died in the house. Doesn't put me off if he did die I the house but it would if it was a grisly murder.
    Now the house is renovated I completely forgot about the old owner towards the end since every trace of his 60s decor is gone! House is tenanted now anyway. I would assume he died in a nursing home. Even a suicide I think I could get past.

willair likes this.
  15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It would not worry me. I have bought a deceased estate where the previous owner passed while occupying the property. In fact, the estate sold the property along with chair that the previous owner died in.

I did not disclose this to any prospective tenants. When we sold the property 9 years later, we didn't disclose it to any prospective purchasers either.

For a while I thought the property was being haunted by the 'death' chair though. It was in an old shed in the back yard and each tenants complained about it. I arranged for each tenant to leave it on the verge for council pick up and every tenant told me they had left it out. Yet on every exit inspection that chair was still there. It took about 6 years to get rid of it.

Propin and willair like this.
  16. Perthguy

It has never occurred to me to ask if someone has died in a house either. I know some people refuse to live in a house that someone has died in. It's a strange superstition. I guess you could buy a block and build a house on it. Does that count?

willair likes this.
  17. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

So for the people that wouldn't buy it.

Would you buy a property where the owner had committed suicide or murdered where the house where it happened was bulldozed and a new house was rebuilt.

If it is different for answer for the suicide compared to murder put yes & no or no & yes.

Would it make a difference then if the house then turned into 2+ townhouses or a unit block?

How far back would it actually not impact your decision?

Perthguy likes this.
  18. robbo2621

robbo2621 Well-Known Member

My property manager told me the other day a handyman was in doing some work on my property (inbetween tenants) and had his 4 year old son with him. The son said to the dad that there's an old lady in the house, the dad told him not to be silly there's no one there.
    The property manager asked the previous tenant if there was anything strange she noticed around the house. The tenant said "yea there's an old lady that lives there aswell, she's fine though, just makes the lights flicker and the house vibrate sometimes"
    The last tenant was a full blown hippy so dunno about that one, I've stayed in the house for a week or so on a few different occasions and haven't had any run ins with the old girl ;)

Propin and Perthguy like this.
  19. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

They will have to I guess if it's a huge concern. There are many things that would be much higher on my radar than knowing a person died at the property. I'm sure there are many people living in houses now that would have no idea if anyone had died.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Perthguy

But what if someone died in the house that was there before or died in the yard or died next door, etc? Once you start worrying about these things, where do you stop? ;)

I am house sharing and the owner reckons he saw a ghost of a lady when he first moved in. He felt she was welcoming him to the house, so that's good I guess? o_O

willair and dmb1978 like this.
  21. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Interesting question.
    It will largely depend on the mental strength of your daughter I reckon. If she is a nurse she would deal with death on a regular basis and not bat an eyelid, yet if say a school teacher I might expect the opposite reaction. Also if this was a house rather than a townhouse it would have been better – where in about 18 months time no-one would give a hoot, they just get absorbed in their own lives. In a multiple dwelling the neighbourly gossip will perpetuate more. I guess you could counter this by renting the place some non-english speaking tenants for a while ?

One of my good friends bought an inner-suburban mansion this way about 5 years ago from the family of a prominent Brisbane lawyer who hung himself in the back of the home. The friend in question had also actually lost one of his own siblings to suicide and I sometimes wonder if that contributed to his coping mechanism. Suicide is all around us unfortunately. That house is now worth double the $1.6m he paid for it back then, so he has set his family up now that is for sure.

Far different to a house where a grizzly homicide has occurred. That’s definitely off limits for me.