NSW Would love suggestions for my first PPOR

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Kazinroy, 4th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kazinroy

Kazinroy New Member

G’day PC folks,

i’m a newbie here as well as in the property market. I’m looking to purchase my first property for PPOR in early 2021, and i would love some recommendations from you regarding locations and more.

My budget is around 800k-850k, interested in 3 bedroom townhouses as i would like to start a family soon. But happy to look at apartments also. I’m in my late 20s, with a partner.

Both my partner and i work in the CBD so we’d like to stick with suburbs within 30-35mins train trip to CBD proximity-wise.

Suburbs with good schools would be good, however i’m aware it’s not easy to find townhouses in my price range in those suburbs.

So far I’ve inspected townhouses around mainly Western Suburbs as i’m most familiar with i.e. Lidcombe, Hornsby and Concord west.

Can you please recommend me some good locations that would be good for a young professional couple as well as for a future investment? Happy to comment with more info if necessary.

Thanks heaps and would love your suggestions here :)

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Hornsby is a western suburb within 30-35 minutes of the city?

marty998 likes this.
  3. NadiaHsu

NadiaHsu New Member

Similar budget, and similar working location, professional couples. Have been hunting for our PPOR for around one month and I have not yet bought it.

Here i would like to share some of the areas I have done a little research:

1. Units in Carlton, Kogarah or Allawah, Mortdale. You can get a 3-bdr unit. The problem is that except Mordale, all the three suburbs have an increasing supplies of apartments, some still being built, not sure in the future if there is any capital growth or if it is easy to rent out. For units in these suburbs, there are plenty of supplies, you do not need to hurry to buy, and you can look and wait patiently until a satisfying one appear. I prefer double brick unit, no more than 4 levels, top floor with a garage, low density. To be honest, I am not optimistic about apartments market in Sydney, especially areas with high density of new developed apartments. supply is too big, and large proportion of those homes are/ to be occupied by tenants, which means if you live in those buildings, your neighbours change frequently, and the strata might increase fast because most rented homes depreciate faster, getting rundown and old faster than owner occupied homes.

2. Free standing houses or townhouses in Holsworthy, Wattle Grove: might be a bit far, commuting time more than 30 mins. but you can get a 3-bdr brick house in wattle grove or 3 bdr townhouse & weatherboard house with less than 800k in Holsworthy. both suburbs are safe and quiet. Holsworthy has a train station.

3. Units or small townhouses in the shire.

4. Casula, Glenfield or Ingleburn: brick houses with large block of land, train to the city. Far away (40-50 mins train to CBD). might be booming in the future? These suburbs seem to have been experiencing kind of gentrification, and becoming better and better. All these three suburbs have newly built properties and "old areas with properties on large land".

Overall, with this budget, it seems we can have some choices, but very limited.

What i said above might not be right and I am sure there must be some other suburbs worth attention, as I am also a newbie and my knowledge is limited. Please, if there are more ideas or suggestions, I would like to hear. Thanks.

John Millbank likes this.
  4. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

Maybe Kogarah, Rockdale, and Wolli Creek?

5. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I was just about to suggest this ;)

For that budget you would pick up a decent townhouse in Jannai/Oyster Bay/Como, possibly with some value add ability.

Great areas with good schools and close to train line. Really nice place to live and a great place to raise a family if that is part of your plan.

Here are some recently sold:

1. https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-townhouse-nsw-oyster+bay-134508514

2. https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-townhouse-nsw-jannali-134091938

- Andrew

Last edited: 6th Nov, 2020
  6. milobear

milobear Well-Known Member

Are the sold dates wrong? the first two links have been sold a while back.

7. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

I would look at the St George area for that budget and brief. A townhouse will be a stretch, but an apartment is achievable. And those areas are very functional, close to shops beaches etc.

8. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Thanks for that, super odd. I took the links from recently sold properties right off the top and it somehow populated another link. I've edited the links now - looks ok?

- Andrew