Worthwhile AU political articles

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TSK, 23rd Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Rather than starting a new thread for each, I thought i would be good to flick up a thread that covered off daily articles. General rules:
    • Intellectual rigour is good (especially well reference linked articles) - ranty opinions are for shock jocks
    • At least one line summary or highlight about what you found interesting in the article.
    • If it paywalled mentioned it (pretty much all News Corp and AFR).
    • Don't cut and paste articles - that's likely copyright infringement
    So I'll start with this piece:
    Great analysis/opinion article at the guardian Culture shock: politics upended in era of identity

Highlights economic interest as being less of an impact on voting intentions - both regionals and metros voting against their economic interest.

TSK

Lizzie likes this.
  2. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

3. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

4. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Which is why it is ludicrous to be legislating tax rates for 2024-. Having an aspiration to reduce income tax to 30% for nearly everyone is a laudable intention. Deciding that you will be doing it come what may, perhaps having to slash expenditure on infrastructure so leaving those who follow to pick up the pieces, is totally irresponsible. But great politics: Labor have little option but to support it, knowing that they will be mercilessly pilloried if a future recession delivers them power and no money for tax cuts.

5. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Video
    Australia Institute on Twitter

The right wing ratchet. This is a classic economic approach by right wing parties, including the Liberal and Nationals, and it create the problem with terrible economic decision and then offer the solution of cutting more services.

The one thing I would note is that right wing parties will put up taxes but only ever the label of "levy".

6. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Indeed. See right wing ratchet above which expresses the same point.

7. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

8. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

9. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

11. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Is this thread really about posting balanced, high quality articles or only those that align to a certain political leaning?

All the articles posted so far come from only one side of the below spectrum...

7EF3142E-959F-4D31-9E00-668C7A75AEB2.png

HUGH72 and Perthguy like this.
  12. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, image didn't render on my system.

Feel free to link to whatever well researched articles political articles - I'm not stopping you but try to use the guidelines.

Edit: it rendered. So...you're complaining that I'm linking to mostly high quality article (note that there are zero high quality articles from the "right"). The conversation is often peer reviewed and link back to sources.

Last edited: 19th Aug, 2019
  13. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

This is annotated version of that link - I personally would put the conversation up a bit higher.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 20th Aug, 2019
  14. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

TL;dr: government uses media contacts to drop a story on FrontPage of newspaper to keep Stoke up fear." on water secrecy " only secret when it suits them.

ww.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/sep/02/sri-lankan-asylum-surge-story-comes-at-a-convenient-moment-for-the-government

15. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.