Worth buying to hold - one duplex on potential development site?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Blueskies, 20th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Hi, I looked at a property today that is one house in a duplex pair on total size 1200 square metre LMR block, suitable for 4-6 story low-rise type development.

One part of me thinks it's a great opportunity, I have no plans to undertake anything of that nature any time soon, it would just be a buy and hold, but the potential is there, half the street is built out with that type of development.

The downside is that I couldn't do anything without buy-in from the other duplex owner. Apparently they have said they would sell to a developer for the right priceone day, but obviously nothing is set in stone. I am flexible, I could hold and sell in 1 year or 20 years.

Would you buy a property like this?

2. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Kind of land banking. What is the opportunity cost of buying and holding until other duplex ready to sell or JV?

Blueskies likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It all depends on the neighbour. Personally I wouldn't because it's too much of an unknown risk for me. I'd just look for other sites.

Blueskies likes this.
  4. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I came to that conclusion too and decided to pass, its under offer now so need to keep looking.

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If you have a town planner, maybe keep in close contact with him and ask about sites which he comes across. It can work out well.

Blueskies likes this.