Worried about Chinese influence

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 4th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

or even necessarily profits...

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Actually, I've noticed a few 'Made in Bangladesh' tags in Kmart, so the tide is ever so slowly turning.

In my industry (Roller Skating) nothing is made in Australia. There are two main places they are made. China & Italy. The Italian stuff is high end, sporting equipment, think over $1000 for a pair. Everything else is made in China, save for a small factory in USA that has stuff that is unpopular. However, again there is change. I was importing the majority of my stuff from USA, manufactured in China. They have now taken their manufacturing to Cambodia. Again, small stuff, but change is being made.

3. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

I have to admit I have done it as well but only as ‘rideshare’ taking rides in my direction of travel, worked quite well often picking up a $40 fare for very minor detour on the way to or from work.

Sadly most of the Uber guys are just using it as a taxi service working 20hrs+ (Spread time across the platforms and you can work 24/7) often 7 days a week. Long hours and high risks for well below award rates.

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That is really tough for uber guys

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its the Chinese going to Bangladesh and other countries

Move over ‘Made in China’. It’s ‘Made in Bangladesh’ era now

6. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Re "Made in Italy", China has a population of more than $100k in northern italy (thats why corona spread so quickly there), taking over "luxury" markets in Milan and around the north. Therefore Italian Leather is not the Franco Cotzo quality anymore.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, this is very true. World domination

8. essendonfan

essendonfan Well-Known Member

Also, think we need to change our consumption patterns

I popped into a Christmas decorations store in Sydney over the weekend. Cheap, tacky stuff all made in China/Thailand. It was gross, but flying out the doors - because you need to have a house full of shiny, sparlky stuff to get in the spirit.

Instead I paid more for a nice wreath from a local florist.

When you compare the two, I will probably spend less than those that cram their house full of decorations.

C-mac likes this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What !! My $79 Kmart tree with alaskan snow isnt real alaskan snow ? I wondered why it didnt melt. You wrecked my XMas.

10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm aware of this, but roller skates are not Italian leather shoes or clothing. They are high end sporting equipment that has traditionally been made in Italy for decades.

11. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Chinese or CCP?

Momentum likes this.
  12. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

That’s hilarious! Hurstville was the epicentre of our COVID outbreak too I guess? For what it is worth Prato had the lowest rates of COVID in Italy.

13. Aizaz Hassan

Aizaz Hassan Member

If Chinese products stop coming to Australia effectively most businesses will scramble to find alternative supplier redo product development. In the meantime who can guarantee these businesses will survive.

harvey Norman, the good guys, building products other industries you name it and they will fall.

Global markets are leaning against Asian factories...

take the factories out and see the fall

just saying

Momentum and MTR like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

15. The_Billy

The_Billy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the US has been the global bully for quite some time now with their Trillion dollar war machine. They have a solid resume of nuclear bombs, proxy wars, destroyed continents toppled governments, financially supporting genocidal dictators and communist regimes in resource rich countries. I don't think the Chinese are as experienced or well versed in this game just yet.

Major US Bases Around the World - Google My Maps

Sam Yue and Momentum like this.
  16. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Umm I don't think so

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.