World Indices Roundup 2020

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by itsmescottyc, 1st Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

H1N1 Flu Virus (Swine Flu)
    Ebola virus disease
    SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV)

Be interesting to look back in the rear view mirror and see how Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) impacted the market compared to the above. The knock-on effect might cause a recession or it may cause a short term loss and then a resurgence, I've no idea

When the market gives you a smack in the head you don't generally see it coming

[​IMG]

2. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Asset allocators like yourself have nothing to fear from market mayhem as you know you can rely on these:):
    6128E5E1-4372-47E1-AA33-9508A9B2F95E.jpeg

Redwing likes this.
  4. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

5. itsmescottyc

itsmescottyc Well-Known Member

What are the opinions in the room on what we're currently seeing across Global equities?

It certainly seems like there's potential panic setting in surrounding the coronavirus, then again we've seen a few volatile days over the past few months followed by an immediate bounce back up.

I'm on the sidelines with my popcorn ready...Do people think the last couple of days are 'different' or are we heading back up again by the end of the week? Although the virus itself doesn't seem overly deadly, the control measures appear to have the ability to bring the world to a partial halt.

Do some of the technical analysts still believe that these market drops are unrelated to what we are seeing in the news?

Interesting times.

6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Markets were due for a pull back anyhow.

Silverson likes this.
  8. mtat

mtat Well-Known Member

Why?

9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

What goes up also comes back down.

10. itsmescottyc

11. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

While I did get rid of my board recently I am willing to borrow one to ride this wave If it’s appetising enough.

sharon and Nodrog like this.
  12. kitdoctor

kitdoctor Well-Known Member

Not all the outcomes have an equal probability, so the answer is yes. Other evidence (e.g. measures of investor sentiment), that is not necessarily taken from the chart of the e.g. stock, index, commodity etc. also comes into the equation.

Big A likes this.
  13. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Might go out for a little paddle today. While I do think there could be more downside from here I would hate to completely miss out on this dip if it suddenly turns up again. I have the monthly buy in due on Monday anyway so I might bring that forward and throw in next months buy in as well.

14. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

If it were as straightforward as that markets would not trend upwards over time.

Why do you think the market was specifically due for a pull back at this particular time?

Froxy likes this.
  15. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Near 30% increase over last year, 7% increase this year already prior to dropping now. A pullback was due

16. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Anyone buying today? I'm sure this corona virus thing will blow over soon. I'm looking at WES and VAS. I don't really like LICs but are any of the good ones trading below NTA with the current correction?

17. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

Just for discussion sake.....

What if earnings had increased 50% last year and 15% this year? Would a pull back still be due?

The point being that a simple movement up in price is not an actual reason that price is "due" for a pull back.

In Australia at least the last 10 years has been one of the most lackluster and anemic "bull" markets ever and yet people have been saying the market is "due" for a pull back pretty much constantly since 2012.

Froxy likes this.
  18. itsmescottyc

Coronavirus 'blowing over' seems to be the opposite of the way it's heading, with 4-5 new countries per day seemingly recording their first case this week. It looks at this stage like it will inevitably 'break out' on several continents.

The debate should be more about how will it affect markets and the global economy if/when this occurs. Considering entire cities in China were ghost towns as they tried to contain it, there's a decent chance we'll see the same elsewhere (Northern Italy already).

Danyool likes this.
  19. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Yes I dipped my toe in today. Not easy because I don't think we have seen the end of this down trend just yet. But since I have no idea and it could just as easily move back up I thought I would throw in a small sum.

Its a funny business this investing thing. A few weeks ago I was saying to the wife, how good is this. Every time I log on to the investment platform the portfolio has moved up $20k-$30k. This was happening nearly every week for a while. Jumped on today and since Friday I am down $175k. Easy come easy go I guess.

Not that long ago that would have rattled me. Don't get me wrong it still messes with the head to see $175k disappear within days even if its only on paper. Over the last year I have learnt the key to investing for most people is managing the emotions. So I did just that today and threw in another $100k. I am bracing though for that $100k to possibly disappear again in the next week. :eek:

ChrisP73, Momentum, Barny and 2 others like this.
  20. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

Thinking of buying some canned food :)

As for the market im just watching and waiting, there are alot more ripples in the water that havent hit us yet.

Mooser and Big A like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia