Education & Work Workplace wits end

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by moridog, 2nd Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

That's because teaching is becoming increasingly casualised.
    Plenty of rubbish old "stock" that should move on though. (Some real gems too though)

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you, and I am not bagging all teachers.

When my 2 daughters were in the public school system, primary school the majority of teachers were over it, and they really should retire.

BKRinvesting likes this.
  3. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Just wanted to update this thread. My errant colleague has been placed under watch, if not formal notice, a time chart has been created given his inability to complete one, a manager has arrived a couple of mornings to witness his start times. I've been told my position won't be filled when I commence the other, therefore the pressure will be on him to perform. In my public service area alone we will have lost almost 2 full time positions, due to natural attrition, certainly work has dropped off but not to this extent. The hatchet is out in my public service world.

Tim86, The Y-man and Perthguy like this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Good luck! He's got to shape up or ship out. Good on you for taking action. I have a colleague who I don't think pulls her weight (50% of the time you might find her on shopping internet sites) and to be honest, I don't think she's that good at her job. I'd like to see her gone too...

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That sounds like your job is under threat too. Didn't you say, it was a temp promotion?

6. moridog

No, once the period is finished, I return to my substantive job.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I see, so he is being forced to do his job and your job?

8. moridog

No, pretty well his own and a bit more.

9. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

This is public service. It's the same all over the world. I've found there's no point in getting involved in these issues. There's a lot of protection of rights and you may well find yourself on the wrong side of a bullying investigation. Express your concerns politely to the relevant person and then move on. The public service is a safe haven for those who wouldn't survive in the business world.

vbplease likes this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Really sucks for decent workers...

11. ellejay

Yes, though there's only usually the odd bad apple. They can be quite skilled at protecting themselves though, so you need to be a bit careful.

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

whether it be punctuality or work load or work ethic there is always someone in the office place that does less/wrong.

i tend to have this view that any sort of unacceptable behaviour must be mentioned/attended/deal with early on. or else it will just get worse and worse.

in my current workplace, there is a lot of ego, I dont mind ego at all, however the majority of ego is from people who shouldnt have an ego, which makes me laugh.

I keep on telling my boss, who im friendly with whenever he complains about any staff member who does the wrong thing but doesnt think anything of it because he GETS AWAY with it.

everytime its the same advice from me, "well boss, I keep on telling you, that if you dont put them in their place early on, it will keep on happening, and if you are worried about hurting thier feeligns by mentioning it, then you arent cut for managment, if they dont like being told, then they wont do it again.............if you must treat them like a child then do it"

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If all else fails, just micro manage the bod until they get fed up with it, spit the dummy etc.

moridog likes this.
  14. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

this is true generally...

this is also true.

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My mate works for the state government and reckons that Utopia on ABC is like a documentary. I saw the episode about performance managing a staff member who was not doing their job and it was the manager who ended up getting in trouble. My mate reckons that is spot on. Apparently it is virtually impossible to fire someone who works in the public service. It could only really happen where there is serious misconduct.

TMNT likes this.
  16. ellejay

True, really not worth getting involved or getting upset about it. Take the money and work out an exit strategy.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is spot on, its typically government culture, in fact its best not to rock the boat because you will be seen as a trouble maker and also you are creating work for another public servant who basically wants an easy life.

When I was a public servant I complained about not having enough work it created issues, so I stopped and started property investing at work, it kept me very busy most of the day and I enjoyed it, but I do prefer to work from home in my jammies:)

As I mentioned before either accept or leave.

However, if someone has been working in government culture for many years I expect they will find it very difficult to fit into the real business world where you get paid for performance, and this is why many private companies are not too keen on employing ex government workers, no surprises here.

MTR:)

Perthguy likes this.
  18. srirang

srirang Well-Known Member

^^ This. I know friends and family in public organisations. Yet to see one that enjoys it. Sad state of affairs that most people feel this way.

19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I think what Ive learnt from my crap experiences at work. Is don't get emotional at work. Ever.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

Performance management is part of a manager's role. Just make sure you document everything including times and dates. You might not need to use it if your bosses are onto it, but it is good experience