Education & Work Workplace wits end

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by moridog, 2nd Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I have a workplace colleague who is always late, lazy, inefficient etc, etc, I know we have all had one, this is of course the public service.
    I have applied for, and been selected for a period of management in the position that I would be supervising this man. I have consistently flagged these issues as, well, issues with my management, well before I commence this upgrading. Lots of talk, talk, talk but no action whatsoever.
    This person has been like this for years and nothing has been implemented and as a result these behaviours have become worse.
    I've had enough after an early departure today yet management saying this will be taken out of toil with me saying this man doesn't even work the hours he is paid for, are you ffs serious? I am seriously considering declining the new job because it just does my. Head in. Now, I cannot see the wood for the trees, any suggestions.

2. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

1) Move on to a different company and leave them with their "wonderful" employee.
    2) move out of the public service.

Elives and MTR like this.
  3. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Take the management job, log the problems, warn then fire him, see what happens.

EN710 likes this.
  4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Why is it that you care so much? Are you varying his weight? Why don't you stop doing so? Your managers clearly won't care.

Phase2 and MTR like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How long is the acting position?

If you are cut out for management, then take on the role and work constructively with the colleague and the HR dept.

If not, decline the job. Easy!

6. KJB

KJB Well-Known Member

Do what you think is best for you (obviously) But be careful your not sacrificing your career just because of 1 useless guy doing ur head in

Treat your dealings with him as some real life human resource/ppl management training perhaps? Like you said these ppl are everywhere.

He could be your Guinea pig to help you figure out how to tame and teach all the future uselessnessers to come.

Or if that sounds too glass half full/hippyish..

Do what @wategos said

KJB

moridog and Stoffo like this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If this is such an issue, I'm bit confused about why you applied for the job at all?

8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I think you're worrying more about what others do that irks you than your own career. If you become his manager, do what manager do. Ditto @wategos

If it still doesn't work then find new job or see if you can take the old one back

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The job is only temporary anyway.

10. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Keep a diary. Do a performance review highlighting the diarised issues and resulting in a 30 day performance plan with 10 day reviews with outcomes documented. 30 days with no improvement (and 3 written warnings) and hes out.

Danyool likes this.
  11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Protected species. Likely he has photos of current management in situations they don't want getting out. You don't stand a chance ;)

...and if you can't beat em join em! :D

Jamie Moore likes this.
  12. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Don't sweat the small stuff. Control what you can.

Cheers

Jamie

jim1964 likes this.
  13. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Thanks. I carefully considered before applying but was assured these issues would be addressed, certain measures were introduced, ie, time logs and clear instructions given these were to be completed by all, and all have, except him, no consequence so why bother. The more time passes the greater the ability to "forget". I appreciate the advice and am trying not to sweat the small stuff but in an era of belt tightening and saving money this rorting upsets me. They are my taxes too.

14. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Be careful because you may be accussed of 'bullying' if you ask the fellow to do what he is paid to do.

bob shovel likes this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

we are talking pubic service here, let's get real, most have no clue how the real world works, no offence intended I was once a public servant and it's a gravey train.

Chill out, relax and either join the club or get out

MTR

Mooze, Sackie, vbplease and 1 other person like this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What was your public service role MTR?

17. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Performance manage him out full stop. The days of people in the APS having it 'easy' is fast becoming a thing of the past.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Property investor.....LOL, I am serious, at least 6 hours a day on my stuff.

I was PA to Head of Psychiatric Services, Health Department of WA.
    I know a couple of good shrinks if anyone needs someone:p

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You wouldn't happen to be running for PM - and the colleague is one of those who decided to give themselves and early mark on Thursday resulting in much chaos and great taxpayer expense ... when they should've had their backsides in the chamber doing what they are paid to do

moridog likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Really???
    It wont happen. People forget teachers, nurses, police etc are also public servants and I have never heard of a bad teacher getting the sack.

MTR

Sackie and Perthguy like this.