Tax implications of working From Home

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Paul@PAS, 18th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many workers will find themselves isolated from work but potentially working from home. What does this mean for tax purposes ?

Firstly, the question needs to be asked - Are you working from home ? This means performing work. Not just reading a few emails on your phone - That involves no additional deductions or costs. It may be wise to maintain some diary record of the dates and hours. Just being home on a work day wont be sufficient. Thats like being on sick leave and claiming car use and home office use. eg Fred plans to work from home aftre 15th March for three weeks returning on .6th April. He falls ill on 30th March and is unable to work. He may only base his deductions on 2 weeks, not three.

Can I claim a % of my home costs ? NO. Occupancy expenses like rates, interest etc or even rent remain non-deductible. To claim these costs the home MUST be a place of business not somewhere where work is performed. Your home wont be a place of business if you are an employee. No matter what the setup is. And in addition this rule only applies to a sole trader or partnership. A company its a tenant or ocupant and certainly cannot claim such deductions at any time.

Can I claim travel from home to my office since this is not my workplace ? No. Home is a place where you are performing some work. It is not a place of busienss. Travel to and from work remains non-deductible. But travel from home to a client to drop off sales or to collect a order etc would be deductible.

What can I claim ? A % of additional costs may be claimed for a home study. This needs to consider the amount of use. Its often easy to use the hourly rate basis for electricity use and the total number of working hours is best recorded and then used.. This would only apply to the lockdown period etc. Not the whole year. The diary would establish the pattern of hour and the hours involved. In addition, a share of internet or mobile use / data may be relevant and the diary may assist to support the proportion of private v work use. Again only for the period involved. Not the whole year. If you work from home alreay usinga defined pattern of use then you may have two periods. The lockdown period and the other period and need to maintain records for each. If you need to register for skype and incur fees and this is soley for work then the cost may be deductible in full provided no employer reimbursement occurs.

You can expect that the ATO will likely give some tolerance to minor deduction claims for this unique period. However the ATO will also be vigilant for irrational and excessive deduction claims.

As a guide if Fred was confined to home for 4 weeks and worked full time he may have deductions of $79 for home office costs + a share of internet (50% ? x $70 = $35) and lets assume 50% of the mobile use for the month ($45). So we are talking $160 or so maybe. So should I claim $159 ? No. Each taxpayer and their family needs to all consider these uses.

thydzik, clemont, Joynz and 2 others like this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Can I claim the cost of face masks, sanitiser etc on my tax ?

No. These are used to provide personal protection and avoid a illness. They are not incurred in producing assessable income. These are also medical expenses and fall under the former tax laws which deny all medical deductions (since they once could access a tax offset). This apsect of law has not been repealed and it stops all medical related deductions.

luckyone likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What if they see provided by Snow employer sad a legit way of risk management for their workers' WH&S?

4. Paul@PAS

Its private. As deductible as haemmeroid ointment helps you work and is not incurred in production of income. It may be deductible to a employer.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is that to say employees are a pain in the arts?

Stoffo and shorty like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Tip - taking employer loo paper home is an exempt fringe benefit. Although the supply / demand curve may be pushing this towards the $300 limit

sqe likes this.
  7. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

What if that person is a health care worker?

Peter P likes this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm thinking it's cheaper to WFH anyway. No takeaways, no train fares.....

The internet is a sunk cost anyway.

EN710 and Terry_w like this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Thdd employer likely provides all PPE. At present NSW Health provide laundered surgical PPE and a employee can't claim laundry on that for example. If they had out of pocket gap costs sure that may fall under work related

Redwing and JohnPropChat like this.
  10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

11. Paul@PAS

Read a major media publication citing a seemingly qualified tax adviser who suggested you could claim a % of rent but not a % of home occupancy costs. Contrary to the well known and widely published views on occupancy costs

12. mr_alex

mr_alex Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread Paul. I'm still not understanding completely with claiming electricity costs if you have a dedicated work office, say i keep a diary of hours I am working in the office, do I simply apportion my total electricity bill to these hours, or do I need to first workout the floor area of the office in relation to the total floor area of the house, and then split my elec bill to those same portions, and then claim only the hours of work for that portion? Are you able to provide or link to a worked example? Really confused.

13. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

I'm not clear on why I would need to keep 2 sets of records? I generally wfh 2 - 3 days per week and keep a record of every date I work from home. Now I wfh 5 days per week can I not just append to that record?

14. Paul@PAS

The easier basis is the 52c hourly rate. Floor area and a bill aren't truly relevant unless you are statistician

15. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

What about a prepaid phone service costing $30 a month. How do you allocate business/personal cost when it is used for both phone calls and internet?

16. Paul@PAS

In the manner already available. The ATO websites consider different types if issues and how the service sis billed. Is it a buundled or non bundled plan (ie with foxtel , nbn etc). A diary record of considering the use over the period may assist.

If it was prepaid service ONLY for the work from home it may be easily to consider as 100% deductible.

Buynow likes this.
  17. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Looks like the ATO is coming to the party on this:

Working from home because of coronavirus? You're now eligible for a new 80 cents per hour tax shortcut

Claiming tax deductions for working from home due to coronavirus is being made easier.

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is introducing a new method which will allow people to claim 80 cents per hour for all their running expenses, rather than needing to calculate costs for specific running expenses.

The change will apply from March 1 to June 30, after which the ATO will review the arrangement for the next financial year as the COVID-19 situation progresses.

... read more
    ATO information: Employees working from home

Shortcut method
    You can claim a deduction of 80 cents for each hour you work from home due to COVID-19 as long as you are:
    • working from home to fulfil your employment duties and not just carrying out minimal tasks such as occasionally checking emails or taking calls,
    • incurring additional deductible running expenses as a result of working from home.
    You do not have to have a separate or dedicated area of your home set aside for working, such as a private study.

The shortcut method rate covers all deductible running expenses, including:
    • electricity for lighting, cooling or heating and running electronic items used for work (for example your computer), and gas heating expenses
    • the decline in value and repair of capital items, such as home office furniture and furnishings
    • cleaning expenses
    • your phone costs, including the decline in value of the handset
    • your internet costs
    • computer consumables, such as printer ink
    • stationery
    • the decline in value of a computer, laptop or similar device.
    You do not have to incur all of these expenses, but you must have incurred additional expenses in some of those categories as a result of working from home due to COVID-19.

If you use the shortcut method to claim a deduction for your additional running expenses, you cannot claim a further deduction for any of the expenses listed above.

You must keep a record of the number of hours you have worked from home as a result of COVID-19. Examples are timesheets, diary notes or rosters.

... read more
    80c per hour works out to be $32 per week if you work 40 hours for the week. Given that many people would previously not have been able to claim anything, this is far better than nothing.

@Paul@PFI would be interested in your comments and analysis of this news from the ATO.

Perthguy likes this.
  18. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

Would 2 people both working from the same home be able to both claim this I wonder?

And is this on top of the 52c that can currently be claimed? I understood from the article that it was.

19. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes - based on what the ABC has said (which must be true???)

20. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

The irony is that for a lot of people working from home will save them money: no fares/fuel/parking, no takeaway coffees and lunches, after work drinks etc.

Stoffo, Terry_w and Gockie like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.