Working from home: Do you like it?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by spludgey, 28th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I do, I really, really do!
    I did an ergonomic assessment at work to ensure that my desk and chair were at the right height and angles, but now, 90% of my working is done from the couch or the bed. I love that I see my son more and that we can go for a walk when I take a break.

The negative side of it is that my wife is definitely getting ready to evict me and does not think that my jokes are funny at all (my work mates usually find them entertaining.

I'm an introvert though and I still have a team chat and have at least 5 phone calls or phone/video (I get out of bed for those) meetings per day, so sufficient social interaction for me.

How are you going with it? I know lots of people actually hate it.

*WFH = Working from home

Perp, Toon, samiam and 2 others like this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I WFH for Winter and Summer terms anyway (teaching online) and would only be at campus 2~3 days per week during 2 teaching semesters (2 x 12 weeks) in any case.

So not a huge change for me - although I do a LOT less moving @ home..... (not good)

The Y-man

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have not started WFH yet but I'm set up and ready to go. It won't bother me but my office chair makes my lower back sore and my chair at home makes my lower back sore. They are good chairs. I think it's my back that's the problem

4. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Yep I love it. And I love the sleep in!

5. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

Prior to this I would work from home 3 days week, so extending to 5 is not a big deal. I do miss the social interaction so have been making a conscious effort to ring and speak to people rather than just sending emails.

Having the kids in the next room being home schooled can be a bit distracting but I haven’t been motivated as yet to setup a desk in another quieter part of the house.

Regards,

Jason

6. Player

Player Well-Known Member

It will be a minefield for postural overload Worker's Compensation claims and proving or dis-proving negligence on part of employee and employer.

Things like this will need to be sorted whilst the Covid 19 forced WFH pilot experiment plays out. Paradigm changing beta test taking place

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Love it as hubbys not waking me at 5.30am ... wake at 7 and at work but 7.30 .... but he does need to get his own computer and off mine!

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

since last millenium.................

Lappy lifestyle, has pros but also BIG cons

ta

rolf

9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Not an option for me but my wife is starting WFH next week. Despite having the fastest NBN plan available l think our connection might grind to a halt with school age children and a uni student all online using Zoom and Teams.. it will be interesting.

10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

less data demand than running Netflix I think, but im no tech person

ta
    rolf

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It's really easy to have no motivation when working from home.

samiam likes this.
  12. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Mrs wanted us to wfh so this week my first ever wfh trial. I personally dont like it as it missed the usual in person interaction with the team and others

Had tried to get the mrs to take long lunch breaks but she insisted on "social distancing dear" ;)

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Here's an idea about WFH - if you find it difficult with kids at home...

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 9.24.50 pm.png

Attached Files:

balwoges, Cousinit, Perp and 4 others like this.
  14. The Y-man

I miss the $6000 coffee machine @ work.....

The Y-man

HUGH72 likes this.
  15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've been working from home since the early 2000's wouldn't have it any other way.

You do need to be self-motivated to make it work.

Being able to separate work and home life also helps (although being self employed with websites that run 24x7x365 there is no real separation).

charttv likes this.
  16. The Y-man

Very true - many HR dept ...oh sorry... "People and Culture" Dept where WFH is new haven't thought through the legal implications on their workcover.

At my previous workplace, employees basically had to sign a declaration saying they take all responsibility sort of thing. Legal counsel said it would help but not cover completely the company liabilities.

The Y-man

17. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Hate it.. our calendars are now full of unnecessary meetings (to make sure everyone is busy). Oh and we have to skype with video on and FaceTime for everything. So annoying!

18. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

Love it. Probably couldn't do it all the time as I'd miss the banter too much but at home I'm far more productive. Without interruptions I can accomplish more in 3-4 hours at home than 8 odd hours at work.

Perp, wylie and Toon like this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Love working from home, since pre corona days. Also like driving my car to beachy locations or places with views, parking and working on my laptop.

Or workanic. Working while picnicking in peaceful locations.

I would absolutely hate it if I was forced to get to an office every day. Would suck the life outta me.

Lauren350, Lizzie and Toon like this.
  20. MicrowaveJenny

MicrowaveJenny Well-Known Member

Love it. Text book introvert and analytical, process driven person here, so I don't struggle with low interaction at all, and relish the opportunity to independently structure my own routine. Have always WFH once per week anyway, so not that big an adjustment. Plus the role is outcome driven anyway, so no need to be at my desk for set periods, being checked in on.

My assistant is really struggling though, mostly without having someone in person to bounce ideas off. Solution is to schedule a 20min Skype everyday for no particular reason other than to engage face to face in between the usual emails and phone calls.

That being said, I've needed to convert a different room into a temp office instead of the kitchen table, due to kids being home and being a constant distraction and interruption...

Perp, spludgey and Toon like this.