Education & Work Working for a Boss Whose Goals Are Unrealistic

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by GentleChief, 22nd Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. GentleChief

GentleChief Well-Known Member

Worth a read:

Working for a manager with unrealistic expectations can feel like you’re being set up to fail. But there are a few approaches you can take to get the feedback and direction you need. If your manager sets too-lofty goals, create several plans of action and ask which is closest to what they have in mind. Use their response to steer the conversation toward a realistic version of the goal. You may have to iterate on the plan, but this process can help build trust on both sides. If your boss ignores the practical realities of what they want to get done, acknowledge the goal without labeling it as unrealistic. Discuss your concerns, as well as what has and hasn’t worked in the past, and ask your boss what the next steps should be. And remember that you and your manager probably are on the same side, even if it doesn’t feel that way. Stay calm and pay attention to which approaches your boss responds well to.

Adapted from “How to Work for a Boss Who Has Unrealistic Expectations,” by Liz Kislik

Not sure how easy it is to practices this in the workplace,

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Very difficult to reach peaceful resolution.

Just do what you can. Stand up for yourself. Don't kiss ar@e. if the job doesn't get done or is done badly dont worry. Tell coworkers what an a hole the boss is (they probably ready know this anyway).

Anyway, the goals are probably set unrealistically high by someone further up the chain. The manager is probably some psychopathic sycophant who has to follow orders and rips people off.

All too common these days. And they'll keep getting away with it till they're exposed in a Royal Commission and countless lives are affected.

I don't want to sound like I'm ranting. I could go on for days about it. But the pendulum has to swing back to the workers. Unions with a set are needed.

3. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

time to move on, if that happens.

4. GentleChief

GentleChief Well-Known Member

Exactly @Eric Wu , good guidance, and that is what I felt and did, after 14 years and 7 months with the same boss. And 23 years in the industry.

Btw, my boss was a nice guy inside, in fact was a Great guy, but was very disruptive.
    In IT world it is supposed to be a good thing though, hence every morning was a strategy meeting.
    Disruption for Disruption's sake, I guess. Yesterday we agreed to turn left and today we all agree to turn right! Sounds like a lot of fun isn't it?
    But did not sit well with me and my personal goals/beliefs.

So quit my day job last year 2018 April,
    And we are in touch still, he now comes home for a catchup/drink and eventually, we end up talking banking technology again :confused::D:p

Old habits die hard I guess

Eric Wu likes this.
  5. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

thanks Bala, no guidance here, just my personal observation. the immediately boss is critically important to us, it can make our life as hell, or a breeze.

6. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

A strategy meeting every morning?!?
    Surely they were taking the pi..

Gladys and paulF like this.
  7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Which bank did you work for?

datto likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No, no bank.

Only applied for a bank job once and they wouldn't have me for some reason.

Oh yeah, thats right, at the job interview I dropped a pen on the floor and reached down to pick it up.

It wasn't my fault there was no modesty panel under the interviewr's desk and I rose with a smile lol. I suppose the comment I made didn't help either.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia