Working backwards

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by MJS1034, 13th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

After reading people's stories on this forum I have gained an enormous amount of invaluable knowledge that will help me build my property portfolio.

One of the things I've learnt is the way to achieve your goal is to work backwards on how to get there.

My goal in my property investment journey is to have 100k passive income by the time I'm 40 (currently 24).

Is there a formula or a way to work backwards on how to get there?

Cheers

Mitch

jefn89 and dan_89 like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Use the pv or fv formulas in Excel

3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi Mitch

@MsAli and I started at around 24.

On your journey don't be swayed by the number of properties alone.

From experience, the best thing you can do now is sit down with a good broker and work out your servicing based on your income, assets and liabilities. Some will look at it from a transactional point of view - go with someone who is able to help you with "your" goals :) good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Sep, 2015
    TheGreenLeaf, Befuddled and MJS1034 like this.
  4. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I don't believe in working backwards, otherwise it's likely your only going to do the minimum of what you have to to get to your goal.
    Circumstances change all the time and stuff out of your control like APRA can affect your well made plans.
    Personally, I believe it's best to do the absolute best you can right now and you get there when you get there.
    If you make the right moves, by putting in your best efforts right now, you should reach your fin goals closer to 30 than 40.

Jess Peletier, Ringo1, Ben_j and 9 others like this.
  5. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

To have $100k net income from property you would need somewhere between $2-2.5 mil worth of IP with no debt.

OR $4 mil worth with $ 1.5 - 2mil debt etc

So based on your 16 year timeframe if you could accumulate approx 2mil worth of IP in the next 5 years (using debt) and then allowing the following 11 years of growth in rent and CG, you could definitely give the $100k income goal a good crack!

Very generalised I know.....

MJS1034 likes this.
  6. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

What about inflation? You'll probably need 150k by then to have the equivalent of 100k in today's terms

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Might be a bit hard working the hindsight bias,unless you have made a lot of mistakes inbetween and with personal evolution you missed all the arrows of causality that come with investing..

I don't know of any free formulas out there ,with the fanfare of experts out there selling dreams, for a small $$$$ fee they can teach you the skills required until ASIC puts them into a 4 walled cell with a lifer with a different idea on sex,but from experience most successes looking back while going forward you have too accept one limitations,understand unseen probability and risk,and every one of our successes were and still are caused by a very few slim windows of opportunity by understanding statistics without logic,and understand one simple item only a very small minority from what i have seen over my entire life will evolve into the self funded stage..

Or read a post by a gentleman called "Handyandy" in the Investor-Psychology section ,, have your goals expanded over time,,that is one of the most honest upfront post with no inbetweens
    i have read in a long time straight from the gut..welcome to the site and good luck..

Have your goals expanded over time?

EN710, MJS1034 and wylie like this.
  8. MJS1034

Thank you all for the replies. I do agree with @Ace in the Hole in saying that setting a goal may limit the ceiling my portfolio can build to.

The plan from here is to keep gaining knowledge from the more experienced investors on this forum and buy as much CG property as I can whilst making sure I maximise my borrowing capacity by having my loans set up correctly with my broker.

:D

jefn89 likes this.
  9. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

In my mind the accumulation time frame is relatively short.. My income goal is in todays dollars... Then hopefully rents/values can exceed inflation.So it should keep the maths a little easier. It is something that can always be reassessed at a later date.

10. jefn89

jefn89 Well-Known Member

How are you tracking with this mate? Curious to know where the journey has taken you 2 years or so in
    I'm very much on a similar journey myself and would be great to hear your thoughts!

dan_89 and legallyblonde like this.
  11. MJS1034

Havent bought another property yet as planned unfortunately. But in saying that I did start my own (Mortgage Broking) business which is going really well but starting that certainly slowed me down a little. I’m back on track now and am ready to buy IP 2 in 2018.

How’s your portfolio going?

jefn89 likes this.
  12. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes

What is the yield you are expecting?
    Let's say 4% rental yield - lets assume 3% after costs take out.

Desired income divided by net yield = amount of capital needed

in your case
    $100,000 / 3% = $3.33Mil of property
    This is net equity so $3.33mil without loans or say $6.33 with $3.33mil of debt

This also includes only rental properties - not your home.

13. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

ellejay likes this.
  14. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I’m not focusing on a goal as such but rather making my life more comfortable in the future by doing as much as I can now.
    I’ve only started investing recently, Currently I have my PPOR which I bought 8 years ago and I’m
    about to settle on my 3rd IP in a month. I’m focussing on buying as much as I can while I can. So far I’ve only bought in Melb though.

15. jefn89

jefn89 Well-Known Member

Awesome MJS, recently got into the broking game myself, seems to be a trend here, although I'm PAYG (basically getting paid to learn and follow a passion of property investing, finance etc).. Very keen and likely to increase income over the next few years and who knows where I'll end up in terms of staying in the same role or working for myself..

To your question though, I'm similar still sitting at one, aiming to build that to 2 this year, took 5 months off and travelled to Africa in 2017 and also now saving up for a future PPOR, will be an investment for now

Few moving parts although the goal is 200K residual income by 2029, my 40th B'day, not attached to which investments although property will form a big part of that

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey in broking and investing!