Education & Work Working as a woman can be frustrating

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 11th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So the person who can afford a good quality cut can also afford a professional studio shot, with better lighting and background, with a touched up photo ;-)

kierank likes this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

No lighting is going to make that first shot look better. :eek:

Literally, the only thing for it is to actually turn off the light so it's dark.

Xenia and Perthguy like this.
  4. geoffw

Perhaps- but who knows how the second one would would like like shot as a selfie and not as a touched up professional portrait. Still far better than the other one- but a straight comparison is more difficult.

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

When you look like Jennifer Anniston you'd still look good with a drunk blind person cutting your hair

So unfair comparison!

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Did both include shampoo and blow drying?

Jess Peletier likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yes. The funny thing was at the end they both their haircuts looked the same. I don't know which one was less impressed! :p

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

At my local big shopping centre the 'no appointment' hairdresser only charges about $40 for a colour for above shoulder length hair. About $30 for regrowth. Always busy with men and women. Price of haircut based on complicatedness. Trim is cheaper than a style cut for men and women because a style cut takes longer and can include layering etc.

Perthguy and ellejay like this.
  9. geoffw

I've heard of hairdressers called Curl Up and Dye, The Nut Crop, and Blow Your Top.

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

hair colouring critical, grey roots..yuk
    I pay around $175, colour, trim, shoulder length hair

husband pays $15, pepper and grey, anti colour/dying, still got lots of thick hair, no bald spots yet, good genes:p

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

disaster, won't diy I always get it wrong, ie colour, miss spots and my bathroom covered in dye that I can not remove, towels ruined

Gladys and Jess Peletier like this.
  12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I used to DIY colour when I felt like it (when it was still quite dark but had some grey scattered through) as I had very short hair. Paying a hairdresser $75 to colour it and then cut it off in four weeks made no sense. The only time I did pay for colour was when I grew it out a bit, about ten years ago.

I have photos of me with slightly longer hair, and I think it looked pretty good... until I remember how difficult it was to manage it. Most of the time I looked like a mad woman. :D:p

I'm back to pretty short and pay $35 locally. I thought that was expensive, but have a friend who does the whole cut, colour thing and was paying about $150 years ago.

MTR likes this.
  13. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I did my own for years and it was okay, never blonde though. Blonde needs a professional.

legallyblonde, MTR and Perthguy like this.
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I must be a professional :p I dye my own hair but even then I'm slack about it - I have about 15mm of regrowth at the moment. I sometimes get it done by a hairdresser but I've had some bad reactions at hairdressers that I don't seem to get with DIY kits - go figure!
    I'm seriously tempted to go all grey as I have a lot of grey but for now I'm granny blonde.

Jess Peletier and Perthguy like this.
  15. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I'm the same until I get to the hairdressers and they asked "What would like done today?"

I always say "Just get rid of the grey bits!!!" and then I lie back and close my eyes.

And they immediately start cutting. Is that sexist of them?

I await the day when they start to dye my hair :).

Xenia and Westminster like this.
  16. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Xenia likes this.
  17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Sometimes we just need to ask for what we want and be specific

Joynz likes this.
  18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Actually I take that back.
    You did ask for what you wanted ;)

kierank likes this.
  19. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

While the title could also read "Working can be frustrating", I must say that I have to agree.

As a straight, white, able-bodied, tall, non-obese, non-disabled male in my 30s, I must say that people naturally expect me to be competent. If I go to an external meeting with a female colleague, nine times out of ten, people will address me instead of her, without them knowing who's the lead on a given project.

In the company that I work for the pay gap is 4%, and if it was the other way around, that would certainly **** me off, but apparently that's really, really good when compared with other companies. 20%+ isn't uncommon.

I think that's definitely an issue. And while it can me a source of frustration in the western world, you have it good to women in most other parts of the world.
    Personally, when I lend to people on Kiva, I ensure that it's predominantly to women. I know it's not much, but I think female empowerment is the best path to make the world a better place for everyone, and this is my little part.

Having said all this, I think that women are as much to blame for this as men are. Women seem to be more critical of other women than men are. This thread is a little bit of an indication of that as well. While I must admit that I haven't read the whole thing, I find it odd that it now seems to be about doing your hair. Women need to unionise and support each other (not that men don't have to change their ways too).

20. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

As a straight, white, able bodied, good looking, slim, professional looking female, people naturally expect me to be competent.

People follow me around and ask questions, even when they have just met me and even when I'm just attending a seminar in another state where no one knows me.

Even if I have a man next to me, I take the lead and people gravitate towards me.

Sometimes it's just about the energy you give off. I'm naturally dominant and I naturally lead, BUT I'm female. - thank God for that!!!