Education & Work Working as a woman can be frustrating

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 11th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This is an interesting read.....
    Routinely women get questioned on their skills and knowledge at work while men usually don't get subject to the same treatment. Men usually are assumed to be competent till proven otherwise while women it's often the opposite. And sometimes women will say something in a meeting and her idea will get dismissed but if the same idea comes from a man later on, that idea gets noticed....
    Anyway, have a read of this...

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58c2ce53e4b054a0ea6a4066?

Maybe I should start just putting my initial on job applications. But I also think overall the situation is not too bad for me though since I've got an Asian heritage. But its sad to think this all comes into play...

Last edited: 11th Mar, 2017
    KayTea, EN710, Elives and 1 other person like this.
  2. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

3. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I saw this article on facebook... Reading the comments it seems that this trend is unfortunately widespread.

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Working WITH a woman is even more frustrating :) :).

Just joking.

Gladys, House and bob shovel like this.
  5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

It blows my mind that this crap still goes on....It's 2017 already!

luckyone, KayTea and Joynz like this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Working as a women is the only way I know how to work and I LOVE being a woman.

90/10 ratio of men/women when I was a medical scientist, I can honestly tell you I was so absorbed in my research that I did not even notice who was around.

Endless dates though - sigh!!! I miss those days.

EN710, Perthguy and kierank like this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'm hear you sis!

Sometimes I feel like that, like some social outcast due to my love of the Druitt.

But one day we'll show them. We will rule the world!

I now feel like growing a toothbrush moustache.

Gladys and willair like this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Or orange skin with a rug on your head.

datto likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'll have my popcorn with caramel please.
    I don't normally come into these discussions but I believe the more the you delve into gender bias and the more convinced you are of it the more you feel it and it can take over your life and get in the way of your own achievements and happiness.
    I treat people for who they are and assume that all people will treat me the same way. I don't over analyse and overthink if people are treating me a certain way because I'm a female, IT nerd, safety boot wearing member of society.
    I've worked in male dominated industries since I was 18 (25 years). I actually feel more at peace working with males where a spade is a spade and everyone is appreciated for their skills more than their clothing brand.

devank, Corey Batt, dmb1978 and 18 others like this.
  10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I tend to look at peoples abilities and not their gender. Yes there is bias out there, but not every employer/co-worker is tarred with the same brush.

I guess I have the advantage of having lived and worked in a number of cities and countries across the globe with diverse racial and gender engagement in my time in corporate IT, and simply see people for who they are not what their gender is.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

A
    And there's an indication of the problem right there. As long as a guy is just joking it must be OK...mustn't it?

kierank likes this.
  12. Gockie

Just here's another... Ps. PC people are generally "better/more thoughtful" than others in the general public.
    Here's Anne Hathaway (love her!) addressing the UN General Assembly on International Women's day, and the importance of paid parental leave for families. It's worth the 15 minutes of your time. The truth that 25% of US mothers go back to work 2 weeks after giving birth because they can't afford the time off and the father gets no parental leave at all.... its just dysfunctional. It needs to change.

luckyone likes this.
  13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Working WITH a man is the most frustrating :) :).

Just joking.

Last edited: 11th Mar, 2017
  14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you're the boss. That makes a lot of difference.

Xenia likes this.
  15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Gender bias in the workplace is definitely real. Women in workplaces where I have worked have been treated appallingly, often by other women. I find it upsetting because I was raised by a smart and independent woman to respect women.

Then in other workplaces there is no gender divide. Everyone treats everyone else equally. It is a pleasure to work in workplaces like that.

Phase2, wylie, Gockie and 2 others like this.
  16. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

The US has got some serious inequality issues. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I've had relatives die early because they were in between jobs and their insurance had lapsed.

It's another world that gives new meaning to "not having enough money"...

17. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

I love this line. Its so so true.

luckyone likes this.
  18. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Terrible. Really sorry to hear that.

19. Gockie

:oops::mad: sorry to hear that @hammer. My condolences. The US Healthcare system is just F'cked up.

20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

That's not gender bias that's parental bias. There is no stopping either parent saving up their money and taking time away from the workplace. Paid parental leave in Australia is a relatively new thing but the right to return to your own job after taking 12mths off unpaid was a game changer. It doesn't have to be paid but the right for either parent to take the time off and then return to their job was a great change.

Feminism is not the fight for women to be treated as men. Feminism is the right for men and women to be treated equally and that means men being able to take paid or unpaid parental leave, be the primary carer that daycare rings when the child is sick and have to leave work, be able to access better mental health care programmes, have more proactive physical well being programmes, more funding for men's cancers, Dad's being able to take the day off to go on school excursions/sports days/school assemblies.

Equality is not everyone being treated as men - I believe equality is the best of both worlds and probably sometimes the not so good of each too. It will never be a bed of roses but if everyone has the same opportunities then it is up to them to take and make of it what they wish.

bob shovel, EN710, mrdobalina and 7 others like this.