Worker shortages and Overseas migration

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Illusivedreams, 27th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The first step has been taken by the people removing a govt which did nothing to address issues.

I am hoping this current govt makes the required policy and resourcing changes. Based on what they are doing with Penny Wong with the Pacific nations this is a real possibility. Because if this does not get fixed our economy may be affected....via further wage rises.

Dmash likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Wages have to go up eventually.......

With eba's and various cuts my actual hourly rate is 15% less than it was 15 years ago
    Hence why I don't bother working much !
    Better to go broke sitting on a beach in the sunshine than fixing equipment under factory fluro's ;)

Toon, Pier1, Sackie and 4 others like this.
  4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yeah... not good. As people need to pay for the basics.

I am really hoping this govt can get the balance right.

The last time this was done well was under the Hawke/Keating govt. People don't see that simple tax cuts and no efforts to transform the economy and address things like climate change have not worked.

Unfortunately...we are at the crossroads. Lets hope Albo's team sets a new path....

Dmash likes this.
  5. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

The balance has been way off ie howard turbo charged immigration and its been gping gangbusters till covid. Great for ppty investors and employers, not for everyone else. Im in tech, just got a 25pct lift in contract rate, prior to that its been stagnant for the last 12 years. Melb took 22 years to go from 3 to 4 mill, 9 years from 4 to 5 mill. No one ever voted for mass immigration, it kind of just got slipped in there.

Doncossack likes this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

They should organise bus loads of Mt Druittites and move them to Victoria. I know, they’re not working here but the change of scenery might change things for them down there.

Cousinit, BuyersAgent and Doncossack like this.
  7. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

If the Government really wants wage rises, which is only is happening now, due to lower immigration, then it seems counter intuitive to import more workers.

Sure it's good for employers as they can continue to hire cheaper staff, but probably not for everybody else. Yes some of that will get passed on via higher prices/charges, which leads to further inflation which requires further wage rises, etc.

We are at some of the highest levels of employment the country has ever seen, and there is a pretty good reason for that. However it only came through circumstance/the pandemic.
    Meddling with the natural market seems dangerous.

craigc likes this.
  8. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

The main man Albo is onto that, writing a letter to the Fair Work Commission "recommending" a increase to the minimum wage.

9. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Suppose we can't call them Druids... What about Whalanites? Bidwillians?

datto likes this.
  10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Really? I feel the ones that actually WANT to work are.....the rest, well, they'll just call it a holiday.

craigc, Sackie and datto like this.
  11. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

If there are tight labour markets & skills shortages all over Western Nations, it will make it more competitive to attract skilled immigrants.

12. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I hope the new government can pull off some decent wage gains, but I think the part they will struggle with is driving the productivity gains needed to make these sustainable and not at the expense of company profitability.

The problem for Labor is the impact of the unions. They want the wage gains but will vigorously oppose the increases to employee productivity needed to justify it.

craigc likes this.
  13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

They are lot smarter than you think.... Hawke did it with Accord in the 80s ...if anyone can pull it off it would be labor.

The other mob is not trusted by workers.... given their track record.

Dmash likes this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Stop it lol. Wilmotians, Lethbridge Patkers , Emertons, aaarghh Sounds like an alien race.

Realist35 and BuyersAgent like this.
  15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

One of the biggest issue's (from a workers perspective) is that I see more people in management earning 10X plus my wage and they have a secretary and personal assistant yet as far as "working" goes they seem to do very little :eek:

Being at the top and "making a decision" shouldn't justify their exorbitant salary, I make decisions and contribute to the company every day and do a load of compliance paperwork also (the last time they didn't "listen" to this lowely worker it resulted in the closure of Botany and cost in the 10's of millions in clean up and EPA fines:p) yet non of those managers got the sack, no they got awards for handling the response o_O

It hasn't been about the company being profitable since businesses were family owned, these days we are told it's about shareholder profits (A profitable company pays dividends and in turn the share price rises, it's like having a cash flow positive property that goes up in value every year :)), when in reality the push for profits is so those in senior roles can get their productivity bonus and extra share allocations :p

The unions have over many years negotiated my wage down (petrochemical) along with my friends (stevedoring), everywhere I look someone has lost some sort of hard fought for entitlement from long ago that the unions agreed to wipe out to save a few jobs :(
    The union bartered a pay rise for the permanent's at a carpet factory (that I was a casual) while cutting the wages of the casuals (only permanent employees knew and got a vote), 6 weeks later the company sacked the permanent's and went to a casual workforce :rolleyes:
    Union officials are only in it for one thing, their own jobs, it's a fine line between representing the worker whilst keeping the employer happy ........

datto and Shogun like this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its global, we have competition.

Our government told people on certain visas to go home when covid hit. Now we want them back….Good luck

Rentvester, gman65 and Dmash like this.
  17. Dmash

Dmash Well-Known Member

The gates are wide open yet nobody is coming here. We won’t see net migration of150k for a long time yet, plenty of better options out there in terms of time and cost.

MTR likes this.
  18. PaulB

PaulB Well-Known Member

Is there an consideration from an ethical stand point regarding 1st world nations draining 3rd world /developing nations of their best and brightest?

SouthieMonk likes this.
  19. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Balanced by the consideration from an ethical standpoint regarding denying the best / brightest from choosing where they think they have the best chances of success?

craigc and Sackie like this.
  20. chewmylegoff

chewmylegoff Well-Known Member

You’d be surprised just how few people are capable of making a reasonable risk based decision.

Also, 90% of management time is taken up by dealing with the mess created by the one sociopathic lunatic who lurks within every seemingly normal team.

craigc, Stoffo and datto like this.