Work - split shifts

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Hodor, 5th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I have a friend who's work does unpaid split shifts. They have just put two splits in their working day of 45 minutes each. This seems pretty unfair. I haven't seen their contract but for 1 hour plus splits they get an allowance. It would seem to me that anything shorter than an hour shouldn't be an unpaid split as it's too short to make productive use of. They aren't happy so would like to offer informed feedback.

Anyhow, I'm wonder if there is any generic legislation around this, NSW if that helps. Haven't been able to find anything on Google.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Ask Fair Work Australia - or even better they should ask their union.

Hodor likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

There is a minimum shift legislation - don't know it but remember clearly it was bought in around 2 years ago to prevent this sort of thing. Would be worth investigating.

Fair Work Australia as first stop

Hodor likes this.
  4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

They don't have a union.

I'll see what fair work says.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Which industry - you'd be surprised that they would have a union or the miscellaneous workers union at the least.

Joynz likes this.
  6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Haven't looked into it, but am aware of bus drivers that do 'split-shifts'; not sure how it all works

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Every industry has a union. If they haven’t joined then that’s another matter...

Scott No Mates likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Lots of hospitality jobs are split shifts. Usually there is a loading to compensate - but it might not be much!

One of the 45 minute breaks might be considered a lunch break.

Could also consult the EBA or award.

Redwing likes this.
  9. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

They get an unpaid lunch in addition to the two 45 mins.

They haven't joined a union and aren't aware of a rep is what I should have said.

10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

What industry/award?

Fair Work Hours of work, breaks & rosters

This article is specific to airline ground crew

Court upholds split-shift ban

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Does your friend know which union is responsible for their industry? That is the first step to finding a union rep as there may not be one at their workplace. Once your friend knows the name of the union, they can go to its website for contact details. A few unions are in the process of amalgamating so their names may change too.

As for the EBA, that too can be easily googled. Your friend should have been given some kind of employment contract, which will have the name of the award or agreement.

Hodor likes this.
  12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

We need stronger unions in Australua. Our working conditions are deteriorating. Wages are abysmal. And now scott Morrison wants to start drug testing dole bludgers and cutting the amount of cash in unemployment benefits. This is not on.

13. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

Have to agree with the govt on that one, too many people taking advantage of my taxes on the dole. Sort them out good and proper, go overseas and try it on see what happens- USA, Sweden you name it. We are far to generous to people who have no interest in work and are born into a welfare production line. Adding to that there are not enough factory type jobs anymore this is the govt's fault.
    I agree the wages in a lot of industries are low and haven't moved, try a job in construction especially tunneling where you get pd double time when you go for a crap. Cant have it both ways, what about in the CFA in Victoria? pick up your $160k a year and get paid a heap of benefits. Whole system is wrong.

14. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

I feel the same , anyone that gets taxpayers funds should be drug tested.
    I have to pay tax so others can get childcare , they should be tested as well
    Lambies idea about Drug and Alcohol testing for pollies is a great idea.
    If i turned up for work and blew numbers or consumed alcohol during my working day , its down the road buddy and no job.

Stoffo likes this.