Work Orders and PM's preferred trades

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by hematite, 30th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

PM I was using refused to issue work orders for the original contractors to do termite inspections. They said they can only raise work orders for their own tradies and I would need to organise everything (including tenant liaison) if I used my own contractor.

Is this normal?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Tell them to put the contractor onto their books.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a cop out to me. If you've given them the name of a professional in that field, what is wrong with them liaising with that professional instead of the one they usually use?

Either way, they need to arrange entry with the tenants.

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

That's.... an odd one.

How did they start using the trades they have? It sounds like they're trying to avoid getting the contractors set up in the system, which isn't a great big deal- though for one off it's a bit of a pain.

5. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Absolutely not normal. Owners having their own preferred trades for a range of different things is very normal. What if a family member was a sparkie or plumber, would they say no?

Having an owner request a specific trade is actually a great way for a PM to test drive that business with minimal risk. If they are average the owner wears it as they specifically requested them. If they do a good job, well priced, great comms and show up when they are supposed to, it is a good opportunity to add another trade to the list.

If they continue to insist that you use their preferred trade and aren't prepared to arrange it for you with your own it would be very easy to find a new PM that will.

- Luke

HUGH72, Lil Skater and wylie like this.
  6. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

As above, not normal.

PM can add tradie to the system, as long as they have the appropriate licence and insurance shouldn't be an issue at all.

7. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

So what happens in a situation when the landlord organises for someone else to do a repair , but needs the keys from the agency to gain entry(owner lives interstate) and tenants are at work, tenants then allege that the front door was left unlocked and stuff missing, or they were unlicenced to perform the repairs and rectification work needs to be done.
    Is the agency at fault for giving then the keys, and niot checking their work or the landlord for choosing the cheapest rate.
    How many people would let total strangers into their house , organised by another stranger, and no one will be home .
    Many agencies use specific tradies that is built on trust and reliability, and are licensed to perform the work.

Gladys likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It sounds from the initial post that the landlord knows the tradie involved as he has done the initial work.

But regardless, what happens when a tradie retires and the property manager has to find a new one. Would the same checks be done and then they have a new tradie on their books?

Couldn't it be a win/win?

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  9. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

The company was a large pest management company used for termite inspections. By having an inspection every year with the agency, it keeps my termite warranty with them.

Clearly this was the incentive to keep using the same company.

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It also means they can ensure the checks are done correctly. Which is good for you.

11. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

Maybe you should remind your property manager who the boss is... YOU... ;) at the end of the day, they should send whoever you prefer to YOUR property.

12. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

There was no suggestion they were unlicensed, the OP just wanted to use there own supplier. I would still expect the PM would contact them, get their licensing and insurance details etc, and issue a work order. The tenant always has the option if they are concerned about it to be home when the maintenance is done.

If something is alledged to be stolen is the agent responsible? Without meaning to sound disingenuous, the person that stole items is responsible. I would expect the tenant to report the theft to the police and claim on their contents insurance.

Yes but just remember that every trade on a PMs list at some point did their first job for them! Then they did the second, third, fourth etc. Even a trade company a PM has used for a long period can still expose you to that risk. It may be a plumber who has a dozen plumbers working for him and your job is the first for a new employee.

It is such an incredibly small risk I personally don't lose too much sleep over it.

- Luke

wylie likes this.
  13. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

As long as the trade is appropriately qualified and licenced to do the job, there should be no reason for the PM not to vett them and give them a try, especially at the request of the owner.

I hate it when PMs use the excuse of not having the trade on their 'register' etc to make the job easier for themselves but not necessarily the best outcome for the investor.