NSW Work @ Kensington and PPOR

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by RJS, 11th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

We are currently at Kellyville but would like to purchase a PPOR that is closer to partner's work and was reaching out to see what options or suburbs we need to focus.(we need help)
    Just a little about us
    1) partner works at UNSW
    2) 9 month baby in our hands
    3) budget 950k or less
    4) 4 bedda would be ideal

nice to have
    5) dual living option(to rent out)

We have been trying to nail a location but haven't convincingly zeroed on a suburb.
    Please let me know any further info is needed.

Thanks,

2. Booming Sunnyvale

Booming Sunnyvale Well-Known Member

I would check out the area between Mortdale and Holsworthy. Right on the train line and great access onto the M5 and into the Eastern Suburbs. Holsworthy you can pick up a 4 beddy for around $800,000 - $900,000.

Head a bit more East and you can pick up a 3 Beddy in Padstow for $900,000 - $1,000,000 , most 4 beddy sales in the area are just over the $1m mark.

Check out some of the attached sales, hope this helps, subjective opinion of course, good luck on your search.

Alternatively, I would wait for the market to soften more, nab a deal when it's a buyers market.

Attached Files:

RJS likes this.
  3. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Apartment in EASTLAKES or Hillsdale.

I would not buy in Holdsworthy asap If train to work. It. Means changing at Central for. A bus. Commute would be 1.5 hours.

A house a Must?

If so you have to look West Liverpool area. As mentioned in. Above post

RJS likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

OP: That's a bloody tough question with that budget and that area. Problem with UNSW is there are no trains nearby, only buses for now. Might be better off renting and buying an IP somewhere else.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

4 beds, sub-$1m & in Sydney? :rolleyes:

You'd be lucky to find a 3 bed unit close-by for that money.

I'd agree with @Booming Sunnyvale, the bottom end of 'the Shire' might get you something. Possibly around Sutherland - Engadine.

Phantom and qak like this.
  6. Bwinny

Bwinny Well-Known Member

To get an idea of what you have considered....What areas that currently meet those objectives are you considering?

7. qak

qak Well-Known Member

What is the commute time for Kellyville to Kensington?

Quite honestly, driving the M5 route usually isn't fast at all. This time of year many people are on holidays so it might be quicker than usual now; after Australia Day it will revert to normal. When WestConnex goes in there will be a toll added on the M5 as well.

Train & getting on a bus from Central or city pretty much the only way to PT it to UNSW. Light rail is being built at present. Alternatively a bus from Sans Souci/Dolls Point direct (also slow) - a 3BR unit in this area may be feasible.

RJS likes this.
  8. Gockie

OP: If you do decide on Sutherland/Engadine, I'd favor Sutherland from a transport perspective. My colleague lives in Engadine and he says with the train problems Tuesday night, he had to wait 45 minutes for a connecting train from Sutherland to Engadine. It's not something you'd commonly encounter, but that extra bit of convenience is good to have.

Ditto with Epping. There are multiple options to get to Epping from the city if there are train issues. They weren't letting people get to the Platforms 1 and 2 at Town Hall Tuesday night, (no drivers), huge crowds. Platforms 18 and 19 at Central also had the same problem. These platforms service the west, northern line and who knows what else but suffice to say, its areas where a huge swathe of Sydneysiders live. However I managed to get home relatively painlessly and quickly using a country train.

RJS likes this.
  9. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Easy access to UNSW on your budget is unfortunately a tough ask...if you could increase it by a little bit more then I think around Bexley/Tempe there would be some options with relatively quick access onto M5/south dowling.

Something like this (although $200k over budget sounds like it would tick other boxes): 2/18 Gladstone Street, Bexley, NSW 2207 - Property Details

Under $1m you'd have to consider an older, smaller house and very likely on a busy road.

RJS likes this.
  10. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Thanks @Booming Sunnyvale very very helpful insights. We are looking at your suggestions.

I went just a little further and looked at Glenfield. There is "old" and "new" Glenfield apparently.

Any thoughts?

11. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

@Illusivedreams Thankyou for the suggestions. We looked at the apartments in the mentioned suburbs. Pricing for them is well under our budget but the houses are pretty much over a mil.

With the little one moving from crawling to walking stage, we were hoping for bigger place.

12. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

I know @Scott No Mates :) under a mil is a challenge.

From your suggestion, I have added Wolli Creek to our list to look out for? Would that be worth looking at?

13. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Thanks @Gockie Glad you could make out of the chaos with less pain. I had a lot of colleagues stuck on that day. I am adding Sutherland to our list. :)

14. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Why not just rent walking distance to the Uni?

The extra money you might pay could be made up with transport costs and you'd still have your Kellyville house waiting for you later?

15. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Thanks @qak for your reply. Kellyville to UNSW take about 1:45 on a normal Tway bus and central. Its quite a journey. If we could change to a train and bus option, the journey would be less stressful.(thats how we are thinking)

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There was a thread (or two) on Wolli Creek/Turella. There are probably several new/near new units which may be on the market due to poor returns, no finance etc (there might even be a pair adjoining each other or above to convert to 4 beds).

17. Illusivedreams

I find Wolli Creek is lacking community feel. The. Area seems full Of Newish migrants that haven't settled and a Huge middle Eastern community.
    Just me but I didn't find it. Nice.

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2018
    RJS and Ben_j like this.
  18. Gockie

My friends were thinking of combining 2 2 bed units at Meadowbank to have a 4 br apartment overlooking the water. But in the end they went with a 3 bedder penthouse. I think if you are going to have to pay 2 lots of strata fees and double the purchase price of a 2 bed apartment, it's going to add up.

19. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

@Illusivedreams your points were very timely. Thank you. removed from list.

Did you have any thoughts on Glenfield.. closer to the station? I understand there is an "old" and "new" Glenfield (two opposite sides of the train station)

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2018
  20. Illusivedreams

Sorry I don't know enough about Glenfield to comment.
    Is their anything IN Zetland? I still think it would be an apartment houses have exceeded that price level . But lovely split level apartments in Zetland.