Wood Or Concrete

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Redwing, 30th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

RB published one of my favourite books 'Australia's Home' - great insight for anyone wanting to know more about the style and influences on the buildings that they've got.

Possibly time to update it with more of the regional influences over the past 40 years too eg: McMansions, gaudy, 70's Italianate, 90's latte, SEQ modern apartment and apartments in general.

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Yep, as you would have guessed I'm a bit of a Robin Boyd fan and Australia's Home is a must-read for anyone even remotely interested in Australian housing (somewhere that many spend 70% of their lives).

RB had a social conscience, was a master of liveable, economical, practical and aesthetically pleasing designs. Reminded the masses constantly that housing didn't have to be dull or costly. The Windowwall was brilliant and his ruthless commentary in An Australian Ugliness, while it probably didn't win friends it certainly influenced a few people (growing up on the Sunshine Coast - Gabriel Poole comes to mind) and had sound, community minded motives. I missed an opportunity to purchase a GP home in 2009, at close to fire sale price and still regret it.

I've got some plans that were drawn by Boyd for basic, affordable homes somewhere too. I have folders of RB related info, perhaps we need another thread.:)