Wood damaged by rain

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by giraffez, 10th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

When wood has flared up due to water, is it repairable? I brought a door today and got wet in the rain. The side is damged due to water seeping in

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it limp or swollen?

3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Solid timber wood be ok, but if it's got MDF components it's fuct.
    Thinking it's not solid as you would not notice much swelling from getting wet on the surface.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If it's a cheap hollow core door and the mdf skin has swelled you might be better buying a new one.

Alternatively if it's not too bad, let it dry naturally then sand it back to flat.

5. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Yeah its swollen (lumps on the edges). I'm not sure what material it is to be honest. Sanding it down will help?

6. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

just on timber doors, i'm going to have to replace mine soon. its a queenslander and i was thinking of putting an awning in to protect the new door as the rain seems to hit side ways but the stairs go lead straight to the door because there is no platform to set up a ladder outside (stairs start right at door)

my question is if i purchased a solid timber door would the rain still get to it?

Cheers, Elives

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Cheap hollow core internal doors have a honey comb card internal structure, a narrow pine frame and a 'skin' on each side of mdf.

The mdf is not water proof and 'sucks up' water, causing swelling. It won't unswell when dry.

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Any 'external' rated door will be fine if you follow the manufacturer's instructions for painting and undercoating to the letter.

This includes instructions on correct paint colour (to avoid it warping or flaking in hot sun), number of coats and painting every surface including top and bottom.