Wood Borer

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Elives, 7th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

I read a building and pest report and it had Wood Borer damage, apparently the damage was on some timbers under the building on the ground (not the building)

the building report comments below.

"found Damage found Yes - Borer damage was noted to the following timber(s)/area(s). Without destruction of the timbers it is not possible to determine whether activity exists or the extent of timber damage within. Description Queensland pine beetle/ borer (Calymmaderus Incisus) damage"

has anyone experienced this before? how bad are they?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it active? Are there still signs of the borer? Timber is a natural product and the borer attack is likely to have been when the timber was growing. Get more clarification.

3. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

the damage was to some loose timbers on the ground under the property, but as it states in the report "Without destruction of the timbers it is not possible to determine whether activity exists or the extent of timber damage within"

i've never heard of them before, only used to termites.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

More info. here:
    Queensland pine beetle

It does seem like it could be an issue. (Initially I thought you could just take the timbers out if you purchase. Shouldn't store loose wood under the house anyway. In Vic. borers are usually long gone by the time you notice the holes and dust.)

But QLD could be different than Vic

Last edited: 8th Oct, 2016
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Like termites, I am told they are attracted by moisture. They can be treated with fairly cheap pesticides (visit bunnings) if they are active, and are usually more prevalent in rotting fences etc.

The Y-man

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Or remove any loose timber under and around the house.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia