Woo-woo Mindset Hacks

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Jess Peletier, 4th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

How much impact do you think Woo-Woo techniques like declarations/meditations have on Big wealth

1. None - it's just hard work and luck to get super-sized income

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. It's no harm, but not essential for great success

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. It's a MUST - impossible to do without it!

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi Friends :)

Let's talk purposeful wealth creation.

I know most of us are having a crack at investing - some just because they feel like it's the 'right' thing to do if they want to not retire at 75, and others with a full fire-in-the-belly, full focus on growing extreme wealth.

I want to talk big wealth - for eg, people who bring in over $1M/yr personal taxable income, ideally from business.

First of all - do any of us know people in our own circles who do this? How many?

For those of you who do have these people in your circles, have you ever asked them how they did it - not so much from a 'doing' perspective but from a mindset perspective?

I'm a huge reader, and have recently gravitated back to a few of the mindset books that go into declarations, very purposeful thought/mindfulness/meditation and so on, and I'm interested to hear your thoughts on that kind of thing - whether you think it's a load of crap, v whether it's completely essential to rake in the big bucks.

Or whatever works :)

I'll post a poll, but interested to hear proper responses too.

Have you used any specific techniques that you found particularly useful to break through self-inflicted boundaries?

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I sometimes hold investor nights at my place (though I haven't had one in quite a few months) with a close group of friends, all in business. Some RE related some not. All imo, super financially successful. What I found through our conversations is (from a mindset perspective) they all in one way or another try to master their emotions cause as you know emotions influence our physiological reactions which influences our decision making and what actions or lack of action we take. They also were extremely focused and had a very, very, very strong sense of self, regardless of what anyone else thought of them.

You may find this clip interesting.

Last edited: 4th Feb, 2019
    Player, Jess Peletier and Chris Au like this.
  3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I voted that I think its all crap, but I do think if your strong minded in the way that you don't give up and keep trying until you get your way/ when you get knocked down/knocked back that is a quality that gets you things you want.
    Sorry if hard to read its been a long day!!

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

I know maybe 3 people that earn that level of income. A handful more at about half that.

They are definitely into mindset, however it is more from a desire to sharpen their minds, and souls, as opposed to creating wealth. I know at least one has done Tony Robbins, and quite a few other courses. We can have a good chat on Joe Dispenza, or Paulo Coelho. We know when Jordan Peterson, or Brian Cox is in town for a talk. Even have a laugh over the light readings of Neil Strauss.

Whether there is a correlation, or we happen to be friends because we have these things in common. I don't know.

I would say they would have been successful regardless. They have a thirst for personal growth, and an insane work ethic, backed with sharp minds.

More often than not, I meet more people into the woo-woo mindset hacks, who are absolutely broke. Yesterday I had a chat with a person who is doing quite a few seminars, quite their job to become a developer 6 years ago. I cut straight through the woo-woo and asked how much her net-worth had increased in 6 years. Sounds like it went backwards.

There's a great chapter on it in the book 'the subtle art of not giving a ****'. Gives the example of a woman who strongly embodies the positive never give up mind-set. However she doesn't have the values right to guide that belief to anything constructive.

Great book. Simple. Read it twice this month. Worth a read.

To note: Having a large income doesn't necessarily = wealth. One of the guys on $1M+ net, he got there by reinvesting every dollar he made to grow his business. He is only JUST growing his net-base.

Last edited: 13th Feb, 2019
  5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've tried meditating, yoga, etc. It's really not for me but I acknowledge that it might be useful to some people. I don't think this leads to 'wealth' either. That's really a function of small steps over time in the same direction.

That said I do have my own ways of clearing my head and focusing. It's just a bit different to sitting on a mat and putting myself in uncomfortable positions.

albanga and Jess Peletier like this.
  6. Jess Peletier

I do have that book. I'll read it again. So many books, so little time :)

I agree -woo-woo won't work on it's own, but can open some doors when people are ready to make some changes. The woo-woo increases awareness, I think, which then allows you to take some new actions.

7. Jess Peletier

You put yourself underwater instead :)

8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Breath calm and slow...

These days mostly I shoot arrows at targets. You really need to be focused to do it well.

Sackie likes this.
  9. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Hard work, discipline and the right mindset can improve ones probabilities of success but that doesn't mean one will be successful for sure.

As per @NHG , most people that i know who follow woo-woo mindset hacks are pretty much broke or no better financially than anyone else and on the other hand, most people that are doing really well, have had some lucky break in their lives that either changed their mindset and work ethics to the better or enhanced and boosted their existing hard work ethics and so on.

To my mind, the notion of self made men/woman doesn't exist. There was always someone or something that gave this person a break to get to were they are in the present.

11. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Still think passive income is the best marker for real wealth.
    Have friends who earn +$1k/day but once they stop working they're living ordinary lives...they have no real long term investment strategies and often delve into risky investments.
    Work hard when you have to, work smart as much as you can and always follow your heart/gut/instinct and make good choices....

12. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

You might enjoy this you tube channel called The Daily Positive. I really like her content and general approach to life.
    The Daily Positive

13. Jess Peletier

I go into this a bit in my new money course - financial psychology is really interesting and there's so much emotion surrounding money that we can be holding ourselves back without even realising it.

Chris Au likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia