Women twice as likely as men to invest in property

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Babesoft, 6th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Babesoft

Babesoft Well-Known Member

2. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

Terry_w, Piston_Broke and jefn89 like this.
  3. Babesoft

Geez, someone has sour grapes with "empowerment" even though it's not referenced anywhere...

Besides, this whole forum is about empowerment - Taking charge of your own financial future (woman or man).

And did you even read the article? It points out differences in attitudes between men and women in investing. Hence besides investors, this would also be of interest to those that run businesses in this industry (mortgage brokers, BAs, property mgrs etc) on their target mkt/audience.

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

In my experience it is women who are more interested in investing with males sometimes interested and sometimes not at all.

In my case it was my mum who took the lead in deciding to invest in a residential IP in Melbourne. It was her who shortlisted the properties to inspect and was the one who selected the property to purchase. Dad agreed.

They bought for $149k and sold for high sevens after retirement. If not, they would have struggled on the pension.

I got the property investment bug from my mum, not my dad.

Maybe you should give people a chance before predetermining the outcome ;)

Gypsyblood, Joynz, Xenia and 3 others like this.
  5. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

just as men are twice more likely to invest or working in stock market ? i guess its something to do with tangible + risk aversion

Gypsyblood likes this.
  6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

As an ardent feminist I must object.
    What do genitals have to do with property investment?

What if we find that people with brown eyes are more likely to invest? Should have have special breakfast conferneces for investors with brown eyes?

Handyandy likes this.
  7. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

very true, from my own experience, and experience from friends and clients. :)

women have big picture in mind more often than men, ;)

Last edited: 19th Apr, 2018
    Xenia and Perthguy like this.
  8. Babesoft

This post is not meant to be about which gender are more superior investors - though there's clearly some here who feel Male contribute more as measured by tax dollars than Females?!? If you were to continue that logic, how would men find the time to earn the income and pay tax if it wasn't for the women who sacrificed earning an income in order to look after the kids. Add to that the compounding effect of raising children who will then be future tax payers, do the maths mate.

Anyway, staying on topic....Over the course of a lifetime, Women are financially disadvantaged compared to Males because of whole child rearing gig. As a result, females often end up with less super to retire on than men - women who retired in 2016 retired with super balance of $157K vs men on $271K (Source AFSA study). Again, not trying to say this is anyone's fault or who is right or wrong. But this gap could explain why women are more proactive to take control of retirement planning such as property investing - its not necessarily a gender thing, its a necessity.

I applaud all those institutions who "target" women because they need all the targeting they can get. There are still plenty of women who bury their heads into running the household and neglect their financial future.

JASA, Gypsyblood and Joynz like this.
  9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Not true in our family.

I am so over this gender issue. I don’t believe it has anything to do with gender.

I believe it comes down to whether one is interested in one’s financial well-being or not. I know some males who are and others who are not. Same with females; I know some females who are and others who are not.

Typically those of us who are interested do better than those who are not.

Not true in our family.

My wife’s Super balance is roughly the same as mine. She was out of the workforce for years, raising our two kids.

We retired over 7 years ago and are self funded retirees. My wife wouldn’t know where her Super is invested, what her balance is, how much we must draw in pension payments, ... She wouldn’t even know how to log on to the portal. She is just NOT interested. I do all of that for her as I am VERY interested.

Not in our family.

I would say that, for a relationship to have the greatest chance of success (I have been married for more than 37 years), at least one party must be interested in the financial well-being of the relationship and take the lead role.

In my relationship, it is me. In my daughter‘s relationship, it is her husband. In my son’s relationship, it is him.

It is that we are MORE interested in the financial well-being of our relationships. Yes, we are all males BUT who cares.

Last edited: 19th Apr, 2018
  10. Babesoft

@kierank
    I am happy to hear that in your family your wife and your super balances are the same. There are also families where the wife earns much more than the husband and therefore the husband is in a poorer financial situation. Every family's situation is different but the statistics show that where women have equal or higher super balances than men are the exception.

For everyonelse who may feel gender is irrelevant...

The survey in my opening post states that "16 per cent of women have purchased an investment property, compared to to 13 per cent of men. Additionally, 35 per cent of women consider the investment potential of a property as a necessity compared to 10 per cent of men". This may or may not reflect mine, yours or your circle of friends/family experience, but then we have not produced a study to survey 1000 people.

I honestly don't understand why gender is such a sensitive topic, for the general population the life circumstances of men and women are different and that leads to different results (e.g. super balances). Accept the difference and have a constructive discussion about it.

AGAIN - the thread is not about which is the superior gender! Quit being so sensitive...

Gypsyblood, Teddy and Joynz like this.
  11. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Empowered women contribute changes to entire societies.
    Femininity is very very strong POWER!!!

12. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Perhaps Kierank brought family into the conversation following your example in your opening post.

I think it is fantastic and long overdue that equality between the sexes is happening, however your heading is far from being accurate.
    (Women twice as likely as men to invest in property

kierank and Terry_w like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why? Females generally earn less (so property is put into female name to keep in lowest tax environment). That'll rattle some cages. :rolleyes:

14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Who is being sensitive?

Not this bunny :D

Re-read my post and your posts :eek:.

15. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

:eek:;)

Xenia likes this.
  16. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

Married Women’s Property Act, South Australia: allowed married women to own and dispose of property.

----- how times have changed

Scott No Mates likes this.
  17. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

My point..... BANKS TARGET WOMEN in advertising.... Why ?

18. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Men don't get sucked into advertising?

19. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

Nothing about the bank or its products
    just an add targeting women

Joynz likes this.
  20. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Is that why there are twice as many women as men on the forums?

Gypsyblood likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.