Woman evicted for wanting a new stove

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Fernfurn, 21st May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

i have been fortunate not to be renting but i have seen landlords do the wrong thing to good people all the timea nd often the landlord loses out.
    one wanted to raise the rent each year alot and in the end the good long term tenant who woujld have stayed long term left and found a bigger better cheaper place, and noticed the previous property still not letted many weeks later as it was overpriced and unfair. that was a family with young kids who moved because they had enough. The same family had a landlord whos place flooded from roof leaks making everything wet and mouldy and they kept blaming the tenant and wouldnt pay normal repairs. The tenant put up with alot from them also.
    i currently also know someone renting and the landlord wont fix stove or other basic things. the place has been renovated minimally, ( mainly by painting tile paint all over bathroom kitchen and floors and concrete outside to make everything a fashionable updated grey) so obviously they want to rent it with little outlay. Even when there was a broken pipe flooding they took forever to fix it.

2. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

If they were ending a fixed term lease then 14 days is the correct notice

At the end of the fixed term
    If you want to end your tenancy when the fixed term period of the agreement is due to run out, you will need to give at least 14 days' notice. This notice can be given up to and including the last day of the fixed term.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Goes without saying 2 different sets of circumstances for termination.

4. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

"Ms Torsh said her young family had lived in the Earlwood property for 4½ years when they complained to the real estate agent that their stove was faulty, and offered to "go halves" with the landlord on a good quality replacement."

Based on this quote from the story I surmise that the situation became intractable with the tenant demanding a better stove and LL not wanting a bar of it.

dabbler likes this.
  5. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Yep, we experienced this. We moved back down to Sydney when our first kid was 9 months old, and got the 2 weeks notice to vacate at the end of the lease. We were actually away in NZ for a week when the letter arrived, so by the time we actually saw it, it was more like a week. Fortunately we did actually manage to find a place.

We were pretty ****** off - at that point we had moved house 7 times in less than 2 years, including international. We really didn't want to be moving house!

Cheers,
    Inertia.

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That's my take on it too. The LL didn't want to spend the $$ on a nice shiny SS Smeg appliance but may have been happy to purchase an off the shelf unbranded stove from Bunnings for less than a quarter of the price. Tenant may have also demanded that their half be reimbursed when they leave the property & LL didn't want a part of something that could turn nasty.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. SarahD

SarahD Well-Known Member

The media and these stories are always interesting and I'm always suspicious. Years ago I worked at a company and we managed a property that flooded due to the council storm water drains not being able to handle the deluge that we had received. The tenants in the property were offered 20+ other properties some owned by their existing landlord all in the same area, with the same features of the property they were renting at the same rental price or less. Their landlord of the time even offered to put them in another of his properties worth much more per week at the same rent they were on. They refused it all and went to the media about how they were so hard done by because no-one was helping them find a house and the house they were in was flooded and starting to get mouldy! We had to go to tribunal to have them evicted as they didn't leave according to our notice, we were found to have gone above and beyond to help them and tribunal was not happy with the tenants. At the end of the day though, we were unable to respond to the media inquiries so although we had done all the right things and the tenants were opportunistic so-and-so's our agency and the landlord were found guilty in a trial of public opinion.....

8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Evicted or not renewed lease?

9. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Meriton is the worst!
    They don't allow pet anymore or otherwise you have to pet a fee (not a bond!) of $1000.

They also have a blacklist as discussed earlier in this post.
    If you complain too much or what they terminate your lease and blacklist you.

It actually happened to me last month because I asked several times if I could get an animal - I was ready to pay $1000 if needed and have been on a "waiting list" for 6 months.
    But then for no reason I received a termination letter on no grounds and now everytime I ask if a flat is available for rent they tell me not, until I discovered that I was actually blacklisted! For this stupid reason!

I decided to look online and found this article Evicted and 'blacklisted': Tenants like Liana Levin prompt rental reform proposal
    And actually a lot of complaints made to Fair Trading.

I hope the law will change and be more protective of the tenants.

Last edited: 7th Aug, 2018
  10. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

Geez, they raised her rent from $290 to $750 over a period of four years. Are they even allowed to increase it that much?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia