Wolf of Wall Street..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 26th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There was a story on him on 60 minutes last night, where he is involved in a scam to get to get government grants by providing "education" via tick and flick. The story isn't available until 24 hours after broadcast.

3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I caught that segment last night. I remember getting a "cert something" when working in retail 15-20 years ago that involved some guy coming to the workplace, ticking some boxes and presenting us with a certificate. Pretty sure it was the same rort.

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

My wife used to work as a workplace trainer. The courses were essentially funded via government grants. The training company would get most of it, but hand $1,000 to the employer for sending the employee on the course. The result was a mix of students, some did find it useful, others couldn't give a damn. I looked over the material, most of it was stuff I'd figured out myself whilst I was at uni.

When the funding moved from that particular course to something else, my wife was told to retrain to a new course or leave. Fortunately the IT market had picked up again and she went back.

My phone number is very similar to one of the larger organisations offering courses to become a personal trainer. They advertise heavily on the radio that you can become a personal trainer and the government will pay for the course. We get at least one call a day (already had that call this morning), sometimes quite a few more, often at stupid hours (people have left messages at 4am on weekends).

A mate is the owner one of the local training studios, I've seen his finances. Most personal trainers barely make ends meet and he's got a regular turnover of employees. The market is flooded with high school drop outs trying to find something to do with their lives.

The government is paying thousands for rubbish courses with few employment opportunities and no long term social benefit, whilst universities are screaming for funding and cutting places for Australian kids in favour of full fee paying overseas students.

Last edited: 26th Oct, 2015
    Greyghost likes this.