Woke Movement/Culture

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MTR, 19th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So what’s it about??? Many wont get this

We are so fragile Today , everyone is offended....walking on egg shells

Do you think this is over the top??

...... and you got to love Ricky Gervais .... I am so offended

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2020
    Serveman, George Smiley and Guest like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

In a nutshell

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Is that Orange movement culture still around? I think they started in WA along with Harry Krishna. Harry Krishna Harry Krishna.....

4. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with society striving to become more tolerant and understanding of each other and accepting of our differences.

There is a very big problem with the the trend of cancel culture and the attempts to silence anyone with a view that falls even slightly outside the progressively aligned way of thinking. Debate is important, free speech is important, people with conservative views aren't all something-ists.

I think the pressure on Facebook to censor Trump is a case in point.There is plenty of rubbish that Trump says that I don't agree with, but left, right or in-between the media deciding to censor a democratically elected political leader is a slippery slope.

The problem with the way we are headed is that it doesn't strive to find common ground, it just shuts down the discussion and deepens the divide.

craigc, Perp, skater and 5 others like this.
  5. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily agree with censoring his posts as such, but they absolutely should have a fact check link under those that are plain lies (and that goes for anyone's posts on any platform that has a large following before I get accused of Trump bashing). The guy is essentially the most powerful person in the world and has countless millions of "followers" that blindly believe every word he says, a lot of which is flat out horse ****.

Perp, Lizzie and wylie like this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Datto I think they are still going quite strong in nth NSW around Murwillumbah ,schools accommodation ,I had a mate that went there for a free lunch over 40 years ago and stayed there.. I have been there a few times over the years and a very peaceful place plus the free lunch..

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

There is a good quote from a Frenchman a long time ago by the name of Voltaire ..I disapprove of what you say .But I will defend to death your right to say it..NO different from all the drama sterile queen's king's that think the world's just going to condense into their world..good luck on that one.

ellejay and MTR like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Agree. And if people didn't so blindly follow Trump, and used their brain and did some fact checking (or just used common sense really) this wouldn't be such a problem. Unfortunately, those who just blindly believe what they read are going to vote in four months, and that these same people can and possibly will put Trump back in, even seeing what the US has become, is scary.

And I'm also not just talking about US politics, but that is the "big one" right now. One country (actually more than one) wants to disrupt the US, and it is working nicely.

I'd love to see everything political removed from FB and force people to read a newspaper or watch TV news that cannot be so easily manipulated. But that won't happen. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Perp, Lizzie and willair like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well said

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I knew there was a reason I never got into face book.

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2020
    Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

Who should be the arbitrator of truth in this new dystopian world where we have to be coddled with fact checking linked to content created by anyone (or organisation?) with influence?

Do we then have to force media companies to embed this fact checking in their own websites or is it only for social media platforms?

How do we enforce this fact checking with other forms of media such as television or books?

Maybe we could consider a radical idea... everyone should be responsible for the content they consume and working out whether it is accurate or not? Seems to have worked for the 5,000 years prior to the last few.

Patrico1966, ellejay and MTR like this.
  12. wylie

How's that working so far? :rolleyes:

There are people not social distancing because they are "bathed in the blood of Jesus". Yep... they are working out what is accurate or not. :rolleyes:

Didn't have media 5,000 years ago.

Maybe blatant lies could be deleted or corrected. You know, those lies that are easily proven wrong. Not opinions. Outright lies. Won't happen though.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Perp, Propagate and Lizzie like this.
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

People following bizarre religious/cult beliefs isn't something new, neither is defying common sense during a time of crisis.
    People believing dumb **** and acting on it didn't begin with recent forms of media.

If you think that the problem of misinformation (and people acting on it) is measurably worse today than say 20 years ago, what is your evidence base?

MTR likes this.
  14. wylie

These are not following a bizarre religion or cult. They are rust belt Christians attending their church.

Evidence is what we know for sure about FB, before 2016 election. That's old news.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

16. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

Wokescolds are masters of language manipulation. The redefining of words to mean different things. This link helps you understand what they are ‘really’ saying when they speak.

Translations from the Wokish

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If they did bottle it, they could sell it. :cool:

18. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Watch The Big Hack and then tell me how Facebook is not dangerous. Facebook has one BILLION users, anyone that is a master of media and manipulation has unprecedented reach that was unheard of 20 years ago. It's almost as simple as that.

EDITED to correct the reference, should be The Great Hack, not The Big Hack.

Lizzie likes this.
  19. Guest

Guest Guest

On the original thread topic, I can't stand this new woke / cancel culture. It impinges on people's freedoms and I think it plays a large part in creating these so called 'silent majorities' that end up for voting for more divisive, radical leaders that people on the opposite end of the political spectrum make a sport of hating.
    I think the football team name change is a good move if the use of 'redskins' is seen as a slur by Native Americans (I don't know enough about it's historical context to comment), but I have seen other changes that make less sense (from what I have read about it) e.g. Chicos for lollies, when there are multiple meanings to the word and where I understand it's origin wasn't based on the word used as a slur. Ultimately these changes in branding are a responsibility of the corporations. If they receive social pressure to change, they have to make the decision on whether or not they want to appease those who see it as a problem. I would say there is a huge difference between that and trying to enforce 'fact checking' on social media via regulation for example.

ellejay and MTR like this.
  20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I suspect that misinformation is worse than it was pre internet.

It wasn't that many years ago that people got most of their information from the media outlets. Now anybody with an opinion an express it publicly, and people can get their information from anybody, no matter how well or ill informed. Hence the rise in things like flat earth, anti vax, creationism and conspiracy theories generally.

Perp, thatbum, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.