Wise Guru Property Co... Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Prothonotary, 7th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Prothonotary

Prothonotary Active Member

Hi All

I recently attended a seminar run by a property company named “Wise Guru”.

Before going I did a brief bit of digging online to see if there were any reviews – there weren’t any. I thought I would put this up in case anyone else tries to do a similar search, to put in my 2 cents, and to get some PCers thoughts on it.

Wise Guru itself purports to be a property sourcer for Aussie expats. They will do a financial assessment, find you a property, act as mortgage broker and recommend solicitors. You pay a flat fee of $4,995 for this.

Some parts of the seminar made a lot of sense. Buy homes with owner occupier appeal in major centres, and not apartments in large complexes. There was a big plug for Brisbane/SE Queensland, and a lot of data to back it up. So far so good.

The rub came when they showed some properties they currently recommend. They were all shiny new builds by a developer called Mosaic. I asked the presenter why they were all by the same developer – he said that the developer was good, and they wanted good properties for their clients. I also asked if they also took a commission on the sale in addition to the sourcing fee (above). He said yes, of course, they are a real estate agent after all.

I didn’t sign up, although some people seemed rather keen.

I would be interested to get the group’s thoughts on the above.

Cheers

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

The broker and conveyancer they recommend will probably not work in your best interests.

3. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

@Prothonotary, unfortunately, the group has heard this kind of story hundreds of times before. This company sound like they are spruiking property, taking commissions from both sides of the transaction which is like a lawyer representing both sides in a court case! You should be very very wary.

4. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Surely even the name of the company would give you a clue? Wise Guru??? They're on selling an undesired product at an inflated price to expats. You've answered your own questions.

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Good effort - but no reviews should be ringing alarm bells for you.

One stop shops like this, where every one in the chain is reliant on each other recommending the same product is open to being called a "stitch up". Better in my opinion, would be for each set of eyes in the various steps to be totally independent of each other and looking out for YOUR best interests.

Realistically that is not enough money for an independent Buyers Agent to do a good job for you. This works if the BA they have in their one stop shop only needs to recommend one or other product from the same developer. Doh!

No! not really.

Taking a double commission as @BuyersAgent said is not only something to be seen as a complete conflict of interest but is an illegal practice under the OFT rules & regs.

Run, do not walk, away!! Please.

ellejay and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If necessary call a cab or an uber and get away fast. :eek:

Gunky and Propertunity like this.
  7. Propertunity

Even hitching a ride with @Gockie on her unicycle would be better than lingering with this mob.
    [​IMG]

Jacque, See Change and Scott No Mates like this.
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Find an independent buyers agent that will work in your best interest.

Shouldn't (always) judge a book by it's cover, but I'd already made up my mind when I saw the name of the company in the subject line :D

9. Propertunity

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Propertunity - @Gockie has put down a deposit on her new unicycle just for this situation:

[​IMG]

BuyersAgent and Propertunity like this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi all,
    I would sign up* except I committed my last $4995 for a unicycling trip overseas. So I cannot afford it :(

Btw. I'd say i've ridden over 400km so far in Denmark. A fabulous country to ride in. And so many old cars and buildings! 20190804_095217.jpg 20190805_194653.jpg 20190807_201047.jpg IMG_20190731_102722.jpg
    Actually no, I wouldn't sign up even if I hadn't gone overseas for a holiday. For reasons the same as all the other posters on this thread.

Last edited: 8th Aug, 2019
    Marg4000, willair, Sackie and 5 others like this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Run away fast.

Keep running.

Dont look back.

Unless the guru is a Victoria Secret rep..

ellejay likes this.
  13. Prothonotary

Prothonotary Active Member

Thanks all - I have run away. The Guru wasn't a Victoria Secret rep so I didn't look back.

Hope someone else reads this thread before they sign up.

Love the unicycle BTW.

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

“Wise Guru”???

With a shonky name like that you just have to be suspicious.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.