Technology & Social Media Wireless NBN internet

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by dabbler, 28th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

My rental in Adelaide was FTTP and I got 100/40 on fibre. Now I am rural and on ADSL with copper running to the next township (no exchange where I am too small).... big comedown

2. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Makes you almost wish you never had the good one to compare with lol

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

My parents are on an NBN Fixed Wireless connection (outskirts of Murray Bridge in SA). I haven't been home since they had it installed to check it out - but my Dad says it is a lot better than their old ADSL service (which was around 1.5/0.5 if they were lucky).

Only problem is that they don't quite have clear line of site to the tower - too many trees in the way and apparently that does affect the signal somewhat. Only solution for that would be to raise up the antenna a few metres above the roof - which is not how they typically install them.

Must get him to try a speed test some time.

Your choice of ISP and their contention ratios and backhaul provision will also affect the performance of your NBN connection - so it's very much a case of YMMV.

4. jim1964

jim1964 1941

A new NBN fixed Wire tower got put up less than 4 km from us,The $150 for 50 gig from Telstra mobile broadband was getting a touch expensive.Today the NBN man comes to connect us, and promptly tells me we are not in the line of sight.This thing has a 14km range,someone got this technology wrong big time.

5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Wireless NBN gets installed tomorrow... hopefully have LOS

jim1964 likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We are forced to use the NBN Skymuster (satellite) cause, even tho the exchange has ADSL, it's full and won't be upgraded until the NBN landlines come thru - like in 3 years time if at all!

There was a big hoopla this week about Skymuster users now having access to 300gb per month - what they don't say is that 150gb is during peak time, the other 150mb is available between 1-6am. Who the &*$%# is using the internet between 1-6am if you're a working, functional person. And when you run out during peak times, the up/download rate drops so low that it can take me 2 hours to send a simple emails.

At least it's up from the mere 60gb we used to have.

I guess the really annoying part is that several friends, who live 10 minutes away, get 1000gb ADSL or NBN for half if what I'm paying to receive 1/10th - and that we have no choice but the suck it up.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

So the tech called this morning. Before he came, I ran the test and got 30 and 1.6. I was in a chat box with Optus when the tech knocked, chatting to see if we should cancel the tech.

Anyway, tech was nice, couldn't check the connection on the pole as it was raining lightly, but said he'd come back. He said it was likely the (mostly metal) connector, that can have issues with sparking in wet weather, and I think possibly cause ongoing issues even when it is dry. I guess this could have been a story, but he seemed to think swapping the old connector with a new one with less metal (more plastic) might solve the problem.

I had to go out, and he didn't need to come inside (hubby was home), but there is an email saying something was done, so I'll see if things improve.

We didn't have a problem this morning though with higher speeds.

While on the chat line I asked if we would have to move to NBN within 18 months, and would lose our cable and that was confirmed.

I think I'll stick with the cable until I'm forced to switch. It seems switching could be worse than we we have now.

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I have not had time to test NBN, but I know it seems to go dead every so often, so you may try and open something and it just sits there, but have not had time to look at all settings and setup properly as yet, but I suspect the signal is weak so would cause swings in performance along with how many people may be using system at that time.

9. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it doesn't - for many people it is VDSL2 (call it fast ADSL2 on short copper). So you still use the old copper for now. hence why so many variable speeds experienced by NBN customers.

10. dabbler

We only have air ! would prefer if they used the copper to be frank.

It seems like the complaints re NBN being a mess are right.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Crikey... I've just done another test and speeds are 4.57 and 0.53. From 30 earlier this afternoon back to 4.57 now is pathetic.

12. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Probably congestion on your ISP at peak times

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@wylie - I'm on ADSL and it's running slow tonight.

upload_2017-10-12_20-28-7.png

14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thats my adsl to compare against NBN

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hey - I'm jealous - when my mere 60gb of data would run out for the month, my upload/download speeds would drop to 0.08

16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

NBN contractors came out, full signal strength but raining so cant work on roof. Back into the queue :(

17. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I just tested my broadband. ookla.PNG

18. dabbler

lol...I wish I had those numbers....

I also find that when testing with such sites, the speed usually starts off real slow, about a meg, then picks up......I am not sure they mean that much.